Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would recommend getting a factory service manual. There are two for our bike. A "generic" (85-90 EN400/EN450) and a "specific" (1994-2009 Ninja 500/GPZ500S). Look first in the specific and it frequently refers to the generic for stuff that has not changed.

The most I have gotten into mine is adjusting the valves.

I can look up something for you if you wish, but I'm about to call it a night.

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be very helpful if you could tell me what I am suppose to do.

I have to order the service manual and since the bike is my only form of transportation, it would expedite me getting back on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, I have the water pump impeller off, so the shaft is just screwed on as well? I tried unscrewing it, but something turns on the other side of the disc the shaft is connected to, how do I stop it turning so I can unscrew it?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Ok i have included some pics to assist.

1st one shows the impeller removed.
[A] Impeller Sealing Seat Surface
Rubber Seal
[C] Mechanical Seal Diaphragm

Which leaves the plate that centralises the impeller shaft and houses the mechanical seal Diaphragm (C)

2nd pic shows this plate removed to allow access to the mechanical seal.
This will also reveal the shaft..

Oh and this plate is located via 2 dowels and will be quite difficult to remove so be very carefull not to break the plate !!!

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the housing removed already. The shaft is revealed, but I cannot figure out how to remove the shaft.

The parts breakdown makes it look like it is screwed in, but I cannot unscrew it.

The reason I am trying to remove the shaft is that its threads broke off into the impeller, so I need a new one. I want to take this one out an install another. I asked my the parts department at my dealer how to do it, and they said they had never done it before on an EX 500, but it is probably held in by clips. However, there are no clips on the exterior surface where I can see the shaft.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If i remember right and it's been a while since i had one apart, There is a clip that holds the shaft in the crankcase keeping it engaged with the oil pump drive.

You should see the method by which it's fixed in by removing the oil pan.

Just looked a pic i took the last time i had one apart and it looks like it's screwed into the gear that drives the balancer shaft !

I'll have to give it some thought as removing the oil pan may not facilitate removal :(

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Here's the pic i mentioned, RED arrow pointing at your impeller shaft.

I'm woundering if the crankcase has to be split to remove the balancer shaft complete with gear before you can remove the impeller shaft or maybe removing the oil pan will enable you to hold that gear whilst undoing the shaft. (Holding it present a new problem of it's own)

I will further investigate the method of fixing later at work.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
This is looking to be a fun project. Thank you very much for your help.

What problem does holding the gear create?

I have since discovered the impeller shaft is just screwed into the balancer shaft gear.

It's a case of get a good hold on the sucker and undo her !!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.