8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks... just finished building up my prairie and is running
pretty good... it smokes so i think it is going to need a rebuild
pretty soon... in any case it starts right up on the first time but then
if it is shut off it is really hard to start back up?? it kicks over easy
but doesn't start... i already cleaned the carb but think it could be the
spark plug. any other suggestions... oh and the gear shift is hard to put
in high gear... any help would be appreciated.. thanks..
C:nopity:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Generally speaking if there is enough cold compression to start, there will be sufficient compression when warm or hot to also start as long as the valves are properly adjusted.

Warm starting problems are nearly always too tight of valve clearance and the engine leaking compression when the valve stem expands and the valve will no longer close, or it is the ignition coil starting to fail, or a bad spark plug. Any of these problems are a snap to correct.

Oil burning on the 400 is almost always a case of worn valve guides from running with too tight of clearance which overheats the exhaust valves and chews out the valve guides. A wet and dry compression test will tell you if it is rings or the valve guides.

I see a lot of farm used 400's that have thousands and thousands of hours on the engines, and the piston and rings are still like new. But, if the valves are not adjusted correctly they start hard and burn oil after the guides are knocked.

Gear shifting problems are nearly always shift linkage or torque converter related. Check the tolerances and keep them in spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey fellows I'm new to the site.im having a problem with my 2001 prairie 400 4x4.i rolled it about ten times.im fine thanks.but my kawasaki act like it's in limp mode but I'm not sure it even has a limp mode?? But it won't take the throttle and will only go around 15 mph hoping some of you guys can give me a idea of where to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure wish someone could give me a clue.as what to do next I cleaned the carb it's spotless and reassembled correctly.but acts like it's o
In limp mode but was told it didn't have a limp mode it's slow to take throttle feed and won't go over 20 I'm puzzled ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
No not yet but I noticed the CV slide isn't rising as it should .im gonna check the diagram again .idid test it with air and it's not rising..the bike was rolled about 10 complete roll afterward it wouldn't accept but a quarter of the throttle.and as for the belt ??? It don't have a limp mode on a. 2001 prairie 400.any more ideas would be very helpful

·
Registered
661 Posts
Fix the CV slide first. That is your likely culprit right there. If you are sure you don't have a limp mode then the belt check should be done for peace of mind as opposed to fixing the current problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was the CV power slide..put it back together with a couple drops of super glue.and it runs like new again.thanks for your help it was greatly appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts