Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried cleaning the carb to no avail. So I suppose I need to completely rebuild the carb on my VN800B. It is bone stock with the exception of a K&N air filter.

#1. Does anyone know the part # and the best source for the OEM carb rebuild kit?

#2. Before I start this, is there an aftermarket replacement carb that will work better than the stock POS carb?

Thanks.

Tim.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
What's the problem with your carb? No, they don't sell a rebuild kit for it... but you can order what you need from the dealer.
There are a couple minor problems with the carb, but it's really easy to work on. Same Keihin carb as HD used for years, but with a 36mm bore, the HD's was 40mm.
Not a POS, I promise! Once you get these dialed in, you'll be amazed how well they meter fuel/air.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
The most common problems with the 800's carb are; leaking float valve, clogged jet(s) and pinholes in the diaphragm (top of the slide).

Also, due to user error; mis-adjusted idle air/fuel mixture screw, incorrect jetting, needle holder installed incorrectly (usually upside-down).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike sat for a couple of years before I traded for it. It has 15K on it. It starts easily and I have it somewhat running but it burps, farts, sputters, caughs, etc when idling and when accelerating. It does clear out a bit about 1/3 throttle but pops/backfires when decelerating. I took the carb off last night and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. There was a slight haze of varnish in the bowl and some light crust in the bottom but nothing major. I also drilled the mixture screw plug and found that the mixture screw was 2 1/4 turns out. I increased it to 3 turns out but it still runs the same.

So this carb can be saved huh? Do you have a list of parts that I would need to completely rebuild it? Is there a good starting point on the mixture screw?

I also found that the return throttle cable was broken so it's currently running on the single cable until I can get a replacement.

Thanks.

Tim.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Yea, it's probably fine, just gummed up. 2 1/2 turns out is the normal starting point for the screw.
I'm at work now, but will help you out when I have more time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I was checking out the carb modification page on Wolf's site and notice the following.

"Note the position of the black rubber boot between the backing plate and the carb, and that the boot is rubber and must not be
damaged. Set the backing plate aside someplace safe."

My carb does not have this black rubber boot on the inside of the airbox. The airbox seal slides over the carb barrel but there is no inslde black rubber boot. Is it really needed? Could this be causing my issues?

:confused:

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
The carb boot he is talking...

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Has a spring on the backside of where it slides over the carb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In looking at the parts fiche, I'm thinking these are the parts I need for the carb rebuild.

43028-1053 DIAPHRAGM,5.9MM,AIR CUT VALVE $36.79 1 $36.79

43028-0002 DIAPHRAGM (43028-1077) $39.58 1 $39.58

92055-1245 RING-O $2.61 1 $2.61

92055-1518 RING-O,FLOAT CHAMBER $11.09 1 $11.09

16031-1089 FLOAT $28.47 1 $28.47

92063-1014 JET-MAIN,#135 $6.79 1 $6.79

16009-1861 NEEDLE-JET $17.33 1 $17.33

Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Tim.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
48 pilot jet..
Don't go spending a bunch of cash just yet bro. It's probably not that bad.

Float kit for sure; common problem for the 800's.
Guessing the pilot jet is clogged being your main problem. Hard to tell for sure without being there though.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust system? If so, I'd suggest going in a completely different direction with this vs. OEM exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. The bike is back to the bone stock exhaust. Got a brand new set of stock take-offs from eBay. I do have an extra set of stock exhaust with the cans cut out but it was just too loud for me. The EPA crap has also been removed per the instructions. The air filter is a brand new K&N.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
OK, so jetting needs to be close to stock then. Otherwise, I was going to suggest a new needle and jets with an intake mod.

Stock jetting is 48 pilot, 135 main.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
You'll need a good set of aftermarket pipes to re-jet and mod/replace the intake. You'll gain 10-12 HP and improved throttle response, as well as better fuel economy.

Without spending a bunch of cash, just set things up stock for now.

You find the pilot jet yet? I don't have a pic handy, but it's the one that the needle does not pass through and is recessed a bit. Has a built-in emulsion tube. Make sure it's clean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man. I'll pull the carb again tonight and pull everything apart and make sure it's really clean.

As for the new pipes, I want to see how it runs for a bit before I dump a lot of cash into it. As it is now, I'm in this for less than $1100 and would like to keep it close to that. :wink:

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
$1,100? Seriously? You stole it for that :biggrin:

Watch that you don't overtighten the boot that connects the carb to the intake, or it will leak.

·
I just want to go fast!!
6 Posts
Just curious I have a 96 VN800A with some carburetor problems as well, I was wodering where did you locate those part numbers I foundthe same parts on bikebandit.com but about $10 higher, could you inform me where you got these prices?

thanks

new guy to the forum...

·
I just want to go fast!!
6 Posts
In looking at the parts fiche, I'm thinking these are the parts I need for the carb rebuild.

43028-1053 DIAPHRAGM,5.9MM,AIR CUT VALVE $36.79 1 $36.79

43028-0002 DIAPHRAGM (43028-1077) $39.58 1 $39.58

92055-1245 RING-O $2.61 1 $2.61

92055-1518 RING-O,FLOAT CHAMBER $11.09 1 $11.09

16031-1089 FLOAT $28.47 1 $28.47

92063-1014 JET-MAIN,#135 $6.79 1 $6.79

16009-1861 NEEDLE-JET $17.33 1 $17.33

Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Tim.
Just curious I have a 96 VN800A with some carburetor problems as well, I was wodering where did you locate those part numbers I found the same parts on bikebandit.com but about $10 higher, could you inform me where you got these prices?

Looks like I need new diaphragms torn and flaking..

thanks

new guy to the forum...

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Welcome to the forum gdlooknemt.
I believe he was looking at Ron Ayers, but I'm not 100% sure.
Ronayers.com: Home

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I used to own a 1995 VN800A, exact same bike as the '96.
My carb was so screwed up by the previous owner, and it took me a while to get it right. Then I modded my intake and had to start over dialing it in. It was well worth the effort; the additional 12HP from stock and the 800A's sportbike-like handling made it a very fun bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts