Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really didnt want start a thread on this but at this point I see no choice. However before I get down to business just let me say hello as I am new here and thanks for all the information I have already learned just lurking around the past week.

Ok so last year I purchased 2001 ninja zx7r and I fell in love....bad. I purchased her back in march of 09. I took her around the parking lot twice and hit the open road never looking back. However in my excitement to ride I never learned important things like winterizing your bike. Fast forward to the beginning of march this year and boy was I in for a surprise. At first she did not want to start. So I charged the battery and problem solved! Oh how foolish I was. I took her out on her first ride in months. At first everything was fine until I came to a stoplight. She started to bog down and then after about 20 seconds she died. Luckily she started back up and I took her strait home. Once there I started digging through the internet to find out what could be wrong with my bike. After some searching I learned of winterizing your bike and sunk my head in shame as I had not done that with my bike. So fast forward a little more and I have replaced the battery and the spark plugs. At first all was right with the world. She fired right up and was idling without issue until she warmed up. Once warm she would bog and die out. So back the internet I went searching through more forums so I that maybe I could ride once again. Fast forward a little more and I had taken the carbs off to be cleaned. So I cleaned them and put them back on. She fired right up and now idles without issue but something seems wrong. She seems to eager to rev up then I remember. Under light throttle she pops up much quicker than I remember and when holding throttle around 4-4.5k she moves up to 5.5k on her own. Also she sounds louder than I remember. Sounds very high pitched at lower rpms.

So here is my situation. I took off the carbs and cleaned them. I didnt replace anything and in all honesty they looked fairly clean to begin with. The fuel mixture screws are still factory sealed so I assumed they would not need to be messed with. I didnt adjust float height as the bike is all stock and I did not replace anything. I just gave it all a good cleaning. I didnt sync the carbs as im not sure if they need it or how to do it honestly. The carbs were kept together when cleaned and never separated. I have looked up how to sync them but I am still a bit confused. To me it seems like she is surging when applying throttle. I have not taken the bike out for a ride as I fear she may be running lean. I have gone as far as my mechanical skills from cars, information for lurking on forums, and my wits will take me. So now I need help. Can someone please help with this. I would just take it to a shop but they are backed up and cant even start on my bike for 3 weeks. There is such nice weather right now and its killing me I cant ride

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It's probably just bad gas. I'd drain the gas, put in fresh with some Sea Foam added in and see how she runs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I never did drain the old gas out I just mixed in new gas. So its a possibility. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! Im back!!! Thank you so much! That did the trick and now she purrs like a kitten again. Once again I can ride lol. Again thanks.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
No problemo! Glad it worked! I started my bike up last night for the first time since winter and it runs like complete junk. I'm pretty sure once I drain the old gas and put new in it'll run like a champ again as well.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
....and you can buy fuel-stabiliser for next winter to keep the petrol fresh :)
I've never had any luck with this. I used to use Stabil and every winter NOTHING would start. Bikes, lawn mower, and so on. I started using Sea Foam and that helps a little. My bike starts but runs crappy. I drained my tank last night and will get fresh gas in it this week and it should fire right up. Next winter I think I'll just save myself some hassle and drain the tank and carb.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hmmm being from RAINSYLVANIA the land of 3 good days riding....... STA-BIL is all i ever used for the 8 months of hibernation. never had a problem once.... but then i also started my bike and let it warm up couple times a month so i kept the gas circulating and condensation to a minimum..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts