Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 ex500 and i wanted to see if anyone has any maintence tips.

It needs a new tire, it has a 130/70/17 on it, is it possible to get a larger tire, wider? would this be wise, I am not too confident on turns when the bike angles.

what type of oil do you recomend? what other things should i be aware of for this bike... it has 6500 miles on it now... thanks

Tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Freakinout says a 150/60/17 (I think, go search) fits just fine on the rear. I'm thinking about swapping rears tires myself. Tired of the ass end sliding in corners. No, i don't think I'm being all that agressive, maybe I'm in a lower gear than I should be...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rear TIRE

I think that Freakinout went with the Diablo because of the free front tire an d that he loves them he did get the 150 70 17 for the rear... he has a post somewhere on it...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL

Personally I recommend following the Manufactures..TOP of the Line Recommendation...and use 100% synthetic oil. I also believe that the recommendations are set at a very low, bottom of the line Crude oil standard not for the top of the line synthetic. I would not have any fears in going 5,000 miles or even twice that if I was cruising all of the time on longer trips...the key to this though would be using a great oil filter. When you consider the price of synthetic oils and premium fuels, even doing regular maintenance it is much cheaper to use the best parts an dthe best of everything including plugs, when it comes to replacing/rebuilding the motor. Guys may not beleive in synthetics going the distance that I do, but get a lab to check your oil samples directly out of your crankcase every 1,000 miles and you will be completely surprized at the facts and numbers that you can see in black and white. YOu have your motor geeks, computer geeks, then you have the true numbers that do not lie when it comes to analysis...it is worth it, IF you do not believe some of the people some of the time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts