Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum and new to the wonderful world of KZ1000’s. So I picked up a 2002 KZ1000P over the last weekend. Rode it a few hundred miles and seemed to have no issues. Parked it and in the AM saw a few drops of oil on the floor under the sprocket area. Looked at it and I have included the pictures but it seems like the cover for the sprocket 1 is missing a bolt at the bottom and 2 the seal behind the cover seems to be were it is coming from. I have a Clymer Guide coming soon. Checked the oil window and when the bike is completely upright and level the oil is only to the bottom of the window. So anyways any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jonathan
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle Automotive design

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be the shifter shaft seal…as I disassembled what I could without the proper time and manual…manual should be here within a week and I’m on call this week with work so not much spare time…I will update after I get that sprocket cover off and figure out what is actually leaking…my money is on the shifter shaft seal at this point…
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got some time to get on my knees and wrench a little. Pulled the exhaust so I could get my lift under the bike as the center stand on my bike is missing and in fact the left d ring mount that is welded to the frame is missing…found some nice holes and a few cracks on the exhaust I’ll need to have welded up before reattaching…also the left crash guard mounting bracket is also all jacked up too…not sure if all the Police models went through this type of punishment or I just got lucky…looks as though the shift shaft seal is leaking and the clutch push rod seal as well…I got all the seals, the neutral light switch and the transmission gasket and I’ll knock the whole thing out right the first time as soon as the last few seals arrive by mid next week. I’ll update with some pictures when it’s better light out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bicycle part Automotive tire Crankset Rim Metalworking

Gas Auto part Electric blue Circle Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle
Finally got all my seals changed out. Not too bad. Just need to readjust the back axle/wheel and put my exhaust back on and she should be ready to rip around the county like a hooligan by the end of the weekend! A few days of leaving cardboard under the bike and not a drop of oil so I think I’m in the clear. Thanks again for checking my post out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts