Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 Ninja ZX6R that sat unused for 2 years. Bike has 6000 miles on it and when it ran it ran great without any problems. Now it wasn't winterized properly, so when we decided to get it going again it obviously didnt start, so we drained all the gas out of it, (it was really bad) and cleaned the carbs and jets. It's now running, however it will only run with the choke all the way on. We brought it out for a run a couple of times to see if it just need to be ran but it didnt change at all, and it ran pretty choppy. I just ordered a new fuel filter, and will be replacing that, and will be changing the plugs this weekend, but I would welcome any advice if anyone thinks I should look into anything else or has encountered this problem before. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 Ninja ZX6R that sat unused for 2 years. Bike has 6000 miles on it and when it ran it ran great without any problems. Now it wasn't winterized properly, so when we decided to get it going again it obviously didnt start, so we drained all the gas out of it, (it was really bad) and cleaned the carbs and jets. It's now running, however it will only run with the choke all the way on. We brought it out for a run a couple of times to see if it just need to be ran but it didnt change at all, and it ran pretty choppy. I just ordered a new fuel filter, and will be replacing that, and will be changing the plugs this weekend, but I would welcome any advice if anyone thinks I should look into anything else or has encountered this problem before. I appreciate your help.
You probably just need to synch the carbs and get all the gum out. I had a similar problem on my 250 and after I got the carbs serviced everything was great.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
A couple of things probably going on. You drained the old fuel but the varnish still remains in the tank and fuel lines. New fuel just flushes the crud to the carb bowls. Solvent wash metal parts and replace the fuel lines - which really start degrading after 5 years anyway (cheap). The pilot orifices are probably still plugged. You can try running a double dose of B-12 through the carbs or remove them and clean with MEK. The small pilot orifices and passages are hard to clean without removing the welsh plugs. If you don't have an ultrasonic bath you can put the parts in a pan of MEK next to a bench grinder. The vibes from the grinder cleans stuff up good. If you're not familiar with MEK download the Material Safety Data Sheet. Did you count the number of turns on the mixture screws and reassemble correctly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. My landlord is actually the one taking the lead on the repairs as Im a newbe with the work and learning as we go, so I'm unsure whether he counted the turns on the mixture screws. I will double check with him and try cleaning all the parts and replacing the lines. I'll let you know how it works out. If you think of anything else I should do, feel free to give a shout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts