Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Prairie that has been giving me a fit on the carb for the past few months. I cleaned the carbs multiple time thought I had missed something.........Got aggravated and took it to the stealer. He rebuilt carb and same thing. Runs rough above idle cant get it to dial in to run as it should. Got it to where it idles ok, just will not run consitantly above idle.

Also gas still leaks from the overflow from bottom of crab. I have replaced diaphram as well.

Stealer says the problem is the valve seat that is not replacable. Has anyone found a work around for this issue?

I have looked and a new carb is in the 350 ish range. I hate to try to buy a used one only to be in same boat.

I read in one thread about changing brands of carbs to a mikuni. Which ones are interchangable and will work? and where may I find such an animal.

I am a long time lurker here and thanks for everyones help in advance.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
There are workarounds, but they are risky and very time consuming. It is far more cost effective to just replace the carburetor.

Myself, I use Mikuni carburetors as replacements because they are fully rebuildable and have replaceable float valves. But, an OEM Keihin will last for years with proper fuel management and routine maintenance, and are far simpler to install.

If you want a Mikuni my recommendation is that you contact Sudco or a Sudco distributor and have them get you a correctly jetted Mikuni carburetor for your Prairie. Otherwise, you will be attempting to tune and jet the new carburetor yourself.

I generally use the flat slide versions without the vacuum diaphragm. They do take a bit more throttle pressure than the OEM unit, but last far longer than the more complex diaphragm units. Either way, you will have to install a new throttle cable that is compatible with the Mikuni carburetor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Ill give them a call in a couple of mins and try to see what we can work out.

I think I am going to tear it down one last time to make sure I have not missed something and make sure the float level is set correctly.

Any suggestions on anything else I may try to get the Seat to seal up?

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts