Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is looking at a new 2003 1600 classic from a dealer for 9000 bucks. Is there anything negative about the bike that he should now about. It is a real sharp bike and barring any real bad info I think he will probably buy it.
Thanks for the help.
DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I have the 2003 1500 classic so cannot offer anything specific on that model. However, maybe get the vin # and check Kawasaki's website to see about a recall? Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
centerpunch said:
My brother is looking at a new 2003 1600 classic from a dealer for 9000 bucks. Is there anything negative about the bike that he should now about. It is a real sharp bike and barring any real bad info I think he will probably buy it.
Thanks for the help.
DJ
Check out the oil filter (something about oil pressure poping the filter gasket) Bikoaholic will be by soon an he'll have some answers on this. By the way centerpunch, what you doing in July?

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I was gonna trade Robin, thats my 1500, for an '03 1600 a while back and I asked the same question, There has been a recall on something around the oil filter and something else but I can't exactly remember. Its been awhile but that post is in here somewhere...or we can wait till Bike comes to refresh all our memories.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Check out the oil filter (something about oil pressure poping the filter gasket) Bikoaholic will be by soon an he'll have some answers on this. By the way centerpunch, what you doing in July?

Well...I know about the oil filter recall as that is what mine had. Basically they add an attachment that a reusable spin on container goes onto. Inside is paper oil filter and a support behind the filter element and a new seal in front as you screw it down tight. I didn't offer this in my previous comment since I wasn't sure if the 1600's has this same issue.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
whistle clean said:
Well...I know about the oil filter recall as that is what mine had. Basically they add an attachment that a reusable spin on container goes onto. Inside is paper oil filter and a support behind the filter element and a new seal in front as you screw it down tight. I didn't offer this in my previous comment since I wasn't sure if the 1600's has this same issue.
The 03 had it but they've done something different on the 04 an 05.

·
Registered
439 Posts
spok said:
I was gonna trade Robin, thats my 1500, for an '03 1600 a while back and I asked the same question, There has been a recall on something around the oil filter and something else but I can't exactly remember. Its been awhile but that post is in here somewhere...or we can wait till Bike comes to refresh all our memories.
I'm glad to see my baby "Gracie" isn't the only named bike. I was paranoid about admitting I named her.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just an afterthought.......... Gracie, I will NEVER trade you in !!! ....... -kisskisskiss-

·
37,387 Posts
Alex214 said:
I'm glad to see my baby "Gracie" isn't the only named bike. I was paranoid about admitting I named her.
I didn't name my bike, my buddy did. He's the type that like to try to get under your skin with silly **** so he said my bike looks like something Robin (batman and robin) would ride, its red and black so Robin stuck. With that,he bought a pre-owned HD that has a purple paint job with flames and bubbles. I said with those sissy bubbles his bike looks like sissy kind of a guys bike so I named his bike Percy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alex214 said:

My bike is affectionatley reffered to as "Skinny Lil BI_TCH"
but it is meant in the sweetest way possible.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually woodchuck I might be riding up the Alaska-Canada highway at the end of June and beginning of July. Although I might also be in Boseman at the end of May for a day. I'm not sure if I am riding Thor or not. I probably will if the weather is good.

·
667 Neighbor of the Beast
291 Posts
Go see on that site. There's a lot a reviews from owners. Clic "Read a review" under Rider reviews.

Powersports Network

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The dealer should take care of any recall issues for the bike.

$9000 seems a little high for a '03 unless it is decked out with accessories.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe I AM the only freak to name my bike then. Ah, well. I don't care.

·
37,387 Posts
Alex214 said:
Maybe I AM the only freak to name my bike then. Ah, well. I don't care.
Not so fast alex, slicks named his 800 charlotte, I believe, and I've seen others apply names to their rides as well...your no freak!

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're a long ways from being a freak. Every bike I've owned ended up with a name, if I loved it. Just go ask Fluffy, the FLT ! LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an 03 1600 Classic, no problems with it, and still running a spin on filter.
Bought it in feb 04, now has little over 4,400 miles, and waiting for the salt
to go away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Centerpunch: I have a 2003 16000 Classic I bought new in March 2004. I have approximately 5000 mi. on it and love it. No problems except I would recommend you change the 10 amp. cooling fan fuse to a 15 amp. This is the only recall I am aware of for my bike although I have read about the recall concerning the oil filter. The dealer should change out the fuse. This is not a power bike but a great cruiser. My wife loves riding with me and our typical trip is to Myrtle Beach, about a 1 to 11/2 hour ride depending on which end of the beach we are headed to. Only modifications are sissy bar, saddlebags, and passenger floorboards. S****pydo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts