Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my son a 2003 kdx50 6 months ago. When i got it home it wouldn't run until I took out the exhaust restrictor. It never really had alot of get up and go but back then when he was just learning it didn't matter. Now my problem is he got to the point were he can drive it like a pro...the only problem is it wont get going. Once it gets rolling it is just fine. But trying to get the thing going is the problem. Trying to go up hills is heart breaking because if he doesn't start pushing it wont make it.
I have tried to put a bigger jet in the carb to no avail. I messed with the clutches. Nothing happened. I brought it to two kawasaki shops and they tell me that thats the best it is.
Plz help. I know the thing has to have more power then this. It wont even spin the tire in the muddiest hole.
plz send any tips you think might help. thx

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Check between the carb and the cyclinder head to see if there isn't a washer looking restrictor if there is take it out and try that! If you take it out you may have to readjust the air mixture screw, standard is 1 1/4 turns out, if anything you may have to turn it out a shade more, good luck racerdad and thanks for coming to the forum 8)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I'd follow Kawi's advice, he knows a thing or two about 'em :wink:

From what you describe you should have a lot more power coming out of that thing than you do. A friend of mine has two little 50's that he picked up for his girls. One is a yami and the other a Kaw and both of them will carry a full size (180lb) adult at a good speed over hills and through rough terrain with ease. Don't ask how it is that we know this :roll: :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please tell me that the kdx50 has good power for a 50cc bike. I know that there is a restrictor in the exhaust and a throttle limiter, but is there also a restriction between the carb and cylinder?

I just bought one for my 5 year old for x-mas and am having second thoughts. I am thinking I should have bought the Honda. please tell me I didn't make a mistake.

Tell me soon as I haven't taken delivery yet.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we haven't experienced the problem racerdad is having, he should probably do a compression check on his. The KDX50 is a Suzuki, Kawasaki partnership bike. Suzuki has had this bike for a few years and has had very good luck with it to my knowledge. We hear at Beartooth Kawasaki have had good luck with power once you remove the restrictors so I don't think I would worry much about your purchase. 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kawi said:
Welcome to the forum, we haven't experienced the problem racerdad is having, he should probably do a compression check on his. The KDX50 is a Suzuki, Kawasaki partnership bike. Suzuki has had this bike for a few years and has had very good luck with it to my knowledge. We hear at Beartooth Kawasaki have had good luck with power once you remove the restrictors so I don't think I would worry much about your purchase. 8)
First off, thank you for replying to my question. Secondly, could you please describe the restrictors that need to be removed. Once they are removed, will the bike require any jetting or gearing changes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
KDX50

Did you remove the restricter inside the carberator? How about the throttle limiter, have you put a shorter screw in it? I remove the plate and the restricter inside and the bike runs great. Check your manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is OLD, but this came up in a google search and had the same problem with my son's kdx50 we bought him last year so I thought I'd bump it and subscribe. I haven't tried anything suggested in the thread yet, not very good at this stuff but will dig into it tomorrow but first I have another problem to fix on it now. We got it used so no manual or anything. Always ran fine, but very little power it seems, though once it gets moving it can build up some speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son and I just bought him a KDX50 yesterday so I gaven't had time to get into it, but the guy we bought it from said it had a new pipe on it for more house power. The thing really moves. I just wanted to check in and see if "justletmein' was still there and how his KDX50 was treating him.

I need to get a manual so i can look into the mods I have read about. I would like to get an 11 tooth sprocket for the front. can i buy this at a dealer or should I try online?

thanks and hello.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts