Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I purchased a Pro Circuit Works exhaust, and a Pro Circuit Nature Friendly spark arrestor for my 2003 KX250, and am extremely dissatisfied. I got these items directly from Parts Unlimited.
The packaging of both the Works exhaust header and the Nature Friendly spark arrestor clearly indicate that these parts are for a 2003-2004 KX250.
Neither one of them are even close to fitting my bike. The exhaust header seemingly fits okay, until you try to bolt the lower mount (near the coolant drain plug). Likewise, the Nature Friendly spark arrestor has mounting brackets welded about 1-1/2" too wide to mount to the rear subframe. Hell, i even tried to mount the spark arrestor to the subrame by itself and it is impossible. Very disappointing. I contacted Pro Circuit, and for one they never replied to my email. Two, the guy i got on the phone told me to assemble the entire exhaust and he reassured me it would fit. Total bull****.
:doh

I am returning the exhaust header and pipe to Pro Circuit and am going to try FMF.

In fact, i am thinking of just buying an OEM exhaust header. I have already resorted to using my factory spark arrestor...I just repacked it tonight.

Good Luck,
Jered

Thought I'd share my experience with you all.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Pro Circuit has a very good reputation for having their parts fit well. You either have the wrong parts, or dont know how to put it on there. It isnt time to start dissing them yet.

The bolts that hold pipe mounts on your frame need to be loosened so they can pivot, because the mounting tabs aren't in the exact position on you new pipe. Then put the put the pipe on, put the springs on, and insert the bolts, but do not tighten them.

Now, your muffler may not be designed to mount in the place the stocker is, because I bet it is a lot longer. It may mount on the rear fender mount. Put it on the pipe on see what holes it can mount too. Once you have everything in its place, make sure the pipe isn't touching anything, and then tighten all the bolts up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks YurFatMom. As on most bikes, this pipe connects in 3 places: the springs hold it to the exhaust manifold, the lower bracket at the largest part of the expansion chamber, and at the end of the exhaust where another bracket bolts to rear subframe.

The bike was torn down b/c i just replaced the stock piston with a Wiseco piston. I installed the piston with ease. Compared to installing an exhaust, putting in a piston is more challenging. I accredit myself as being smart enough to bolt on an exhaust. =]

The problem has been discovered. This came directly from Pro Circuit:

"During the 2003 production year Kawasaki made a running change to the fit of their exhaust systems. This change integrated a spacer and changed the way the pipe itself fit. This piece is available from us and I apologize that it was not already on the expansion chamber.

With regards to the Spark Arrestor I had a meeting with our products/warehouse manager and we pulled one from our inventory and took it directly back to our pipe shop to check the fit jig. This jig is the tool we use to create the pipe. As it turns out we also have a 2003 KX 250 in our possession so we can double check to make sure we have not made any errors."

Turns out the spacer was not included in my purchase, and PC is sending this to me. Regarding the spark arrestor, something is wrong and i was sent a wrong part. Again, PC is taking care of me and sending me the right arrestor.

All is well here.

My biggest beef was with PC customer service, but that issue has also been resolved. Pro Circuit has done right and I am back on track.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
My biggest beef was with PC customer service, but that issue has also been resolved. Pro Circuit has done right and I am back on track.
Glad you got it worked out. As with any large company, first-tier customer support is usually pretty lacking. I have talked with PC before, but I always ask to speak to a tech. They have been great, patient, and informative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is the mounting bracket necessary to fit the Pro Circuit Works pipe to a 203 KX250

this piece mounts to the factory dampener bracket, and is basically just an extension off the dampener to mount to the large part of the expansion chamber.

Here is the silencer i went with

This spark arrestor is about 1-1/2 times as long as the factory piece, but it is quieter. Overall the sound is pretty much the same, but the loud ping is silenced a few decibels. Sounds wicked....can't wait to ride this weekend.

I've got the jetting numbers from Pro Circuit. We'll see how it rides as a bolt-on, and will adjust accordingly.

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
I have PC on mine and I love it I would highly recommend it. I am glad they got it worked out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts