Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought this bike new off the show room floor Oct. 2004 and have taken really good care of it. I am ready to do some work on the cylinder. I am waiting on a service manual to assist me with my rebuild efforts, but i wanted to ask some questions.

I have read a lot of great things about you on several forums across the internet.

1. Does the factory cylinder on the 2003 KX250 have the plated coating on it? Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

A lot of guys are saying that they are not honing the cylinder on these newer Kawasakis. They say that the stock plating is pretty sensitive and that the glazing of the cylinder can be removed simply with a Scotch-brite pad.
I read that if a magnet sticks to it then it's steel and you can hone it. If it's not steel then do not hone it. You can clean it up with a scotch brite pad but not a hone.

2. Do you recommend the honing of a 2003 KX250 cylinder (ball type hone, of course) if the cylinder is in great shape with just minor glaze on it; or should i use a Scotch-brite pad?
Is there a certain directional pattern to follow in terms of scrubbing motion?

·
Registered
150 Posts
well jeredh

this is a quto directly fromt the service manual on the cylinder itself now others will tell you to do this and that but this is from kawasaki about THEIR design sooooooo i tend to follow their advice and guidance on things like this

If any of the cylinder inside diameter measurements exceeds
the service limit, the cylinder must be replaced with
a new one since the PLATING cylinder cannot be bored
or honed.

now its talking about measuring the cylinder itself for the internal tolerances but it clearly says "PLATING cylinder CANNOT be bored or honed "

so take it for what its worth but i know there are companys out there that can replate the cylinder for you for a very decent price

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
All I use is scotch brite on mine and I bought it new in 1998, and it is still going strong. The clutch basket on the other hand is wore out.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have a 2005 , I pulled it apart last winter to see its condition.
It was in great shape still.
I did replace the piston and rings while I had it apart, and of course new gaskets and coolant at the same time.
I found the cylinder is top quality.....but if its gouged or such, its a replacement part, not boreable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
DO NOT USE A BALL HONE, ball hones will chip the plating, there are specialty hones for plated cylinders, Wiesco has one that works very good. In my opinion using scotch brite by hand is a waste of time, either use the hone reccommended or don't do it at all. The stock cylinder has a electrofusion plating, it cannot be bored unless it is bored and a cast iron sleeve installed, it can be replated if sent to a plater.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Once i get my hands on a shop manual i will tear the bike down and check the condition of cylinder, piston, etc.

I have no reason to believe that the cylinder is damaged to any great extent. I just got back from Loretta Lynn's and it had all the power i needed. Well, until i fouled a plug. This is the first plug i have fouled since buying the bike 2 years ago.

If anyone has a *.pdf version of the shop manual I would be forever grateful. I did spend $60.00 for one at the Kawi dealer, but it would be nice to have an electronic copy. PM me if you can help!

I'll reply back with my findings after i take the jug off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DO NOT USE A BALL HONE, ball hones will chip the plating, there are specialty hones for plated cylinders, Wiesco has one that works very good. In my opinion using scotch brite by hand is a waste of time, either use the hone reccommended or don't do it at all. The stock cylinder has a electrofusion plating, it cannot be bored unless it is bored and a cast iron sleeve installed, it can be replated if sent to a plater.
+1 on this. I've spent a lot time researching this, and the bottom line is that you do not want to hone this cylinder. You can, but you will defeat the entire purpose of the electra coated cylinder plating (aka nikasil).
Wiseco offers two aftermarket pistons: one for the stock, plated cylinder, and one for a bored (altered) cylinder. I would much prefer to keep it stock. For all you gear heads who want the "big bore", we are talking .6 to 1.0 mm difference in cylinder size. At least that is as big a piston as Wiseco makes.
Me...I'll take the benefits of the plated cylinder over a bored cylinder any day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got all the bike pulled apart today, now waiting for the Wiseco piston kit to arrive. Wiseco makes a piston/ring kit designed for these electrosil plated cylinders, FYI. Also adding all new gaskets, Boysen reeds, and want to add a new pipe/silencer. I want a Pro-Circuit pipe, but not sure if they make one for my 2003 machine. I decided on PC instead of FMF based on other peeps experience with FMF fitting problems.
This was my first rebuild of a piston on two-stroke. It was easy getting the machine apart (usually is), and i don't see major problem in getting it back together again. I didn't lose a bolt (yet!). The KPS power valve was a little tricky, but with instructions it went well.

The cylinder looks brand new inside: no scratches, dings, etc. In fact you can still see the factory cross patterns on the cylinder walls. i am going to use some soap/water on the cylinder, a bunch of b-12 to clean things up, and will button her back up.

=]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts