Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the Forum and need some help.
Recently purchased a 03 Prairie 650 for my father. Got a crazy good deal on it becouse of the issues it has. It has 700 miles on it and is in good shape, but these are my problems. Runs Bad, Belt Light flashing, wont shift into 4wd.

Read on this Forum; Belt light could put it into "Limp Mode" making it run bad If this is the case, I guess I'll dig further into that prior to cleaning the 2 carbs which was gonnabe my starting point prior to reading that. Does anyone know how to reset the CPU. I own a 4x4 myself and do all of my own maintenace. I recenty purchased the Kawi-manual for it.

Other issue is - it is currently in 2wd and will not resond to activating 4wd? Any trouble shooting on that? I was gonna start at the switch and then check the actuator......other question is.....now knowing about "LImp Mode" does anyone know for sure if this will shut 4wd down??

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
you got to pull off the belt cover and reset the switch. if it tripped the switch it means the belt is too loose and will need a new belt and yes a flashing light will make it run like crap.
as far as 4wd start by checking the fuses I also believe there is a way to make it flash a code but I have no service manual.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The electrical actuator is next to the snorkel on the drive converter housing. Once that is reset once the belt is changed for a new one, you will be able to shift into reverse.

Once the belt gets loose enough to slap the actuator arm inside that cover, it signals the ECM so it will not allow much power or shifting into four wheel drive, will flash the light, and you end up in the "creep it home" and get it fixed mode.

For a belt to have failed at 700 miles either the operator had a brain lapse and was doing burn outs, or the cover to the belt has been cracked and the actuator is jammed into the belt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the belt lite is on, then yes it won't go into 4x4.
How many hours are on this P650?
Some of the '03P650's have a faulty CDI which can spike and trip the belt lite. The Service repair manual will have the step by step to reset the lite, if it doesn't reset, then pull off the CVT Cover and check to see if the lever inside the CVT has been tripped. If it is this Lever & even at 700 miles, then your belt needs adjustment, if you need to replace the belt, then install a belt from the BF750 & readjust the belt tension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You DON'T have to pull off the belt cover to reset the switch (if your belt is Ok). This machine will go into "limp mode" all by itself after a given amount of time (100 hours) whether the belt is loose or not on the '03 model. You can try this easy reset procedure:

Nyroc's ATV info website

....it works. I have used it on my '03 650.

Other handy info:
Nyroc's ATV info website

1 - 5 of 5 Posts