Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this any material or substantial differences between the 2003 and 2004 1600 classic? I'm considering the 2003 and just want to make sure I'm not losing updates or improvements made in the 2004?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

same bike for all intents purposes :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same bikes, but make sure the 03 has had the muffler recall done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
there was a muffler bracket recall on many units and an oil filter recall on certain units. they switched them to a cartridge type. that's about it. but as mentioned before, i believe you could pick up an '03 model for a little less than 10,000 out the door. post a pic of it when you get it! :D

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The guys covered 2 of the 3 recalls. The third one was the fuse for the cooling fan. You'll want to be sure that's been taken care of too. The original fuse was a 10A and the recall fuse is 15A.

I haven't had the oil filter recall done yet and I don't think I will. No one at Kawasaki has convinced me that it's serious enough to give up the convenience of a spin on filter!! Supposedly on a cold start there can be enough oil pressure to deform the base of the oil filter before the pressure relief valve opens. Someone told me that if you were running straight 50w oil, it was freezing cold out, and as soon as the engine started you opened the trottle wide open it might happen. I figure it's about as likely as the bike just starting on fire, so I'm going to let that one go.

I'm getting the muffler bracket fix done next week.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said they'd do it all

Well I put down a $500 deposit on a red 2003 and he said they'd take care of everything before I picked it up at the end of the month. I can hardly wait!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
we are in anticipation just like you awaiting your review post

·
Registered
101 Posts
There has been done some minor changes to the 2004 model. Not anything that would actually matter.

- Different horn. Not that weird looking they had in the beginning. The new one is better, but not best looking either.

- Clutch and brake master cylinder bodies machined smooth. Makes them look a bit better.

- I've read that the mirrors are also a bit different... Haven't caught my eye though..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: They said they'd do it all

BigRed said:
Well I put down a $500 deposit on a red 2003 and he said they'd take care of everything before I picked it up at the end of the month. I can hardly wait!

congrats on the new scoot...in advance :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts