Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the site. Presently in negotiations with a dealer for a 04 1500 classic.
Trading in my 01 shadow ace. Anything I need to know about this great looking cruiser before I buy it? Any and all info on this ride would surely be appeciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Your making a great choice in motorcycle - bought mine new in 2002 and now have 21K on it with NO problems, just enjoyable, trouble-free cruising.
As far as the initial pickup, I made a checklist to be sure everything was okay when I picked it up. I recommend you always assume the dealer is an idiot or at best, cares only for his interests, not yours. That way, I am never disappointed.
Some things I would check before the bike leaves is:
- odometer, should read zero or whatever you put on the bike, unless you negotiated the mileage in the price
- fluids, check them all yourself or with the assistance of their mechanic...verify them, do NOT take anyone's word they are okay (my coolant tank was bone dry when I came to pick it up) - these include oil, coolant, clutch fluid, front brake reservoir, rear brake reservoir
- examine the bike carefully for ANY scratch you did not see before - don't accept it - make them replace the scratched part
- tire pressure same as fluids
- make sure you receive a new battery (look at it, you can tell)
- make sure the tool kit is in the left side panel of the bike
- make sure each light is functional
- start it up and let it idle until it gets hot - the radiator fan should start eventually in an protected area (may take awhile, or, if outside this time of the year, may not start)
- ride the bike at least in the dealer lot and see if all works well (clutch, shifter, brakes) - should be easy to find neutral, that's a Kaw feature
- get your operator manual and follow its break-in recommendation

Be sure that at your first oil change that you (or whomever changes the oil and filter) removes the oil screen and cleans it. This is a screen accessible from the left bottom side of the engine.

There's a start...come back to this forum for more later...and welcome to the wonderful world of Kaw Cruisers!

T-man

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome, T-man left out one thing to be wary of...its going to be very hard to get that grin off your face.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum louis 8) And be sure to post some pics of your new ride. I'm dieing to see a new one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much T-Man this info will prove valuable. There are a few tips here I wouldn't have thought of.The dealer and I are about $1,000 apart right now but you know how the game works, just waiting on the next counter offer so we can meet half way. Figure I should have her in 2-3 weeks. Where as the dealer crated it to make room for skidoos ( I'm in Canada), I figure time is on my side.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
BTW, Louis, since you're negotiating, try these:
- besides $$, try this on the dealer "How about 15% off all accessories as long as I own the bike?" IF 15% doesn't work, he should do 10%, my dealer does and I did not buy from him!!
- can't come together on the price, have him add an accessory he has in stock (backrest, piece of chrome, etc.)

Just thoughts!

T-man

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
advice

good advice on the price/accessory negotiations.

Louis
welcome to the forum. you will be very happy with the bike when you do get it. i am new to Kawasaki this year and cannot say enough about my Nomad, nothing like it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice T-Man, closed my deal today after 4 weeks negotiating and picking it up on Monday. Got a shorty back rest thrown in and following your lead I will get in writing a 10 % discount on all accessories I buy for as long as I own the bike. I never would have thought of that.
Monday will be fun when I ride the 750 ace in and the 1500 out.
Thanks again buddy

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
great deal! glad to have another happy 1500'r on the road

·
Registered
710 Posts
Loui, you're gonna absolutely love the 1500. I went the same route, had a 750 ACE and traded it for the 1500. Although the ACE was a sweet running machine the 1500 is oh, so much nicer. You'll be amazed at how well balanced the bike is in spite of the weight gain and how incredibly quickly and seemless the adjustment is made to your new ride. After spending only one weekend riding the 1500 I felt right at home with it. The added power makes for some real nice cruising with a passanger and oh yea, I'm sure that you won't miss having to lubricate that chain anymore!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dickwol, you got that right. I won't miss lubing the o-ring.Really looking forward to trying out the 2 up with my ol lady and seeing how big a diff it makes. The shadow did it but it was working for sure to make it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Louis:

Fandamtastic, man! Add my congrats to the others on this board. Glad the deal worked out for you. Now you'll have to succumb to that continuing urge to add more chrome!!

See other bikes like yours for ideas at:

www.cruisercustomizing.com

It's free to join and you can check out all the other Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500s and how they look with various accessories on them.

Cheers!
T-man

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up the new ride yesterday and took her back to work and then home for a whopping total of 12 kms. To sum it up in 1 word from the short ride so far--- WOW.
I'll post a pix as soon as I get one, thanks everyone for the advice.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Maybe Louis can't let go of the throttle? :)

Enjoy your new ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts