Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my boys have a pair of 04-05 kx 65's. Today we were out going around 40mph and the 04 65 rear tire locked up and shut down. It has little compression & will not start. It has been some years since i took these little ones apart and am looking for some help. I think its the top end but not sure. Can someone let me know if i may be right or is it the bottom? Either way its coming apart, but just want to prep the wife on the expense. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi guys, my boys have a pair of 04-05 kx 65's. Today we were out going around 40mph and the 04 65 rear tire locked up and shut down. It has little compression & will not start. It has been some years since i took these little ones apart and am looking for some help. I think its the top end but not sure. Can someone let me know if i may be right or is it the bottom? Either way its coming apart, but just want to prep the wife on the expense. Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, sounds like the top end is trashed. A compression test will tell you a lot, but i've read, and experienced your exact failure description many times over the years, and they almost always end up with a top end failure. Hopefully the cylinder didn't get wreaked in the process.... you can pop off the exhaust and shine a light up the exhaust port to get somewhat of an idea as thew the extent of the damage, but a true accessment means a top end teardown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome (i think) thanks for the help. I took the day off to tear it dowm and tak a peak. I bought it used, so i guess i will have to mic it to find out if it has been bored before...correct? Thanks again for the help.

Heater

·
Registered
407 Posts
Awesome (i think) thanks for the help. I took the day off to tear it dowm and tak a peak. I bought it used, so i guess i will have to mic it to find out if it has been bored before...correct? Thanks again for the help.

Heater
Unless someone prior to you installed a cast iron sleeve (which can be bored oversize) You can't overbore OEM Kawasaki cylinders they have a Nikasil coating. If the cylinder is badly scored the cylinder will have to be weld repaired, and re coated. If that's the case, I recommend :

Cylinder Plating | Cylinder Honing | Cylinder Repair | Cylinder Re-Plating| US Chrome Inc Cylinder Repair Company

I've dealt with them severall times, top quality repair work, and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello & thanks! Definitly didn't know that. There are some marks but nothing too crazy, so hopefull it can get honed out.

With out it being sleeved, can it get honed? I will check out the people you listed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.