Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, 1st post here. I've always been a Kawa rider, specifically the Ninja. Ranging from 250 - ZX6r. I'm talking with a guy who wants to sell me his 04 ZZR6 at a great price, but it's got 20k (commuting miles) on her... :| I'm not sure what to think about it. Anyone have any ideas on how long this bike will stand on its two wheels with that many miles? Is that even a lot? What's the average life span?
The guy says he changed tires, oil, etc. every 3-5k and he is the only owner. I understand it's tough times and people are wanting to just get a little extra cash, but I'm trying to make a good choice here.
I've also got a guy with a 94 ZX6 with 11k on it for the same price. Is 10 years and an extra 9k less milage worth the difference?
****! I hate these choices!!
Thanks everyone! -Sorry for the long drawn out first post!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would go with the newer bike... 20,000 miles is not bad. These things will last forever as long as you follow the maintenance schedule.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I wouldn't consider 20k high mileage but I've seen worn out engines with less miles. It all comes down to how the bike was treated/ridden and how well it was maintained. And in 95% of the cases you will run in to, you only have the sellers word for that info. If your serious about either one and concerned that the engine/transmission may be hurting, ask the seller if you can check the compression etc, or take it to a mechanic for a checkup if you don't know how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi everyone, 1st post here. I've always been a Kawa rider, specifically the Ninja. Ranging from 250 - ZX6r. I'm talking with a guy who wants to sell me his 04 ZZR6 at a great price, but it's got 20k (commuting miles) on her... :| I'm not sure what to think about it. Anyone have any ideas on how long this bike will stand on its two wheels with that many miles? Is that even a lot? What's the average life span?
The guy says he changed tires, oil, etc. every 3-5k and he is the only owner. I understand it's tough times and people are wanting to just get a little extra cash, but I'm trying to make a good choice here.
I've also got a guy with a 94 ZX6 with 11k on it for the same price. Is 10 years and an extra 9k less milage worth the difference?
****! I hate these choices!!
Thanks everyone! -Sorry for the long drawn out first post!!
Commuting miles are good miles. Engine is relatively understressed, running full operating temperature, all moisture in engine and exhaust is evaporated off. I'd take a vehicle with 20,000 over one with 10,000 if the 20,000 was all highway and the 10,000 was short hops to work and errands. Short hopping is hard on equipment if it allows condensation to occur. More acids in the oil, more possibility of rust in the exhaust.

I would take a good look at the bikes physically. look at fork ends, foot pegs, shifter, brake calipers, exhaust, anywhere that might scrape if the bike is crashed out. Maybe even ride them to a dealership or talk to the dealership that did service if they tell you one - verify service. You may find the higher mileage bike is better, maybe not.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
I bought my 05 636 with 2400 miles...

today it has just under 40K miles. It lives on the freeway, plus I have taken it a few times out on the track. I do 15000 rpm shifts whenever I merge onto the freeway (can only do it in 1st gear) and maintain it religiously!

I expect many more miles from it....

having said that and outlined the importance of not only timely maintenance, but documentation of that maintenance I would go for the 04 zzr since it is much much newer.

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts
I wish word would get out to people that bike engines can last as long or even longer than a car engine.

The only time I read of bad bike engines is cause the person abused it too much or a lot of track time.

A guy on another forum of mine that rolled over 177K miles on his F4i before he wrecked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts