Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2005 750 vulcan, and it is almost impossiable to start when it is cold outside. I have replaced the plugs, and checked the charge voltage, and load tested the battery....everything looks good! The bike is a little hard to start when is warm outside, but if it is a little cool outside ( FORGET IT )! When I finely get the bike to start it starts running on the back cylinder at first and after a few seconts the front cylinder starts kicking in. What really funny is that the bike runs great after it starts....it will idle good, accelerate good....has plenty of power...etc... I talked to the guy that sold the bike to the dealer and he told me that the bike has always been hard to start when it is cold outside......boy....I wish I would have know that before I purchased the bike!
I'm looking for answers.....if you think that you might have a idea as to where to look.....give me a holler!! Oh yea! the bike has 5965miles on it and it is in great shape.....Now all I have to do is get it started!!!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
peculiar for sure

i have no answers for you

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Just for the heck of it, next time it's cold and you want to start the bike, open up the gas cap before hitting the starter button.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Hi Tom, In addition to this great site you might want to check with the folks over here: VN750 Com
They've got a HUGE collection of knowledge on the 750.
Good Luck! :-D

·
Registered
543 Posts
I know on my old 03 vn750 (when I still had it) it was hard starting at times. I narrowed it down to a "sweet spot" on the choke lever. If I put it on the "sweet spot" it would fire right up (hot or cold). If I had just a tad too much or too little it'd be a real pain to get started.

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
I had an 02 750, and had the same problem with it. It too seemed to have a sweet spot on the choke. Ran great once you got it started. I fixed the problem........................Bought a 2007 VN900!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I did the exact same thing, Turtle LOL. Bought the 07 900. I did have a hell of a good time on my old VN750, though. That thing was practically bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My sympathy to you... I have 800A, and rough to warm up in cold weather. Your situation seems to be different than mine, but I think I understand the pain. :redface: Guess what I just was doing before reading this thread... I was looking for carb heater hahaha...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for the heck of it, next time it's cold and you want to start the bike, open up the gas cap before hitting the starter button.
I see where your coming from.....I'll give it a try!!! I had to ride my old Yamaha this morning.....at least it starts!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does seem to have a very small sweet spot on the choke that affects easy of starting.....I'll have to play around with the choke some to see if there is a better spot!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 06 I bought new and sold with over 10k miles. It would only start with full chock, no throttle and bring down the chock to control RPM's as it warms up. I want to a VN900 as well. Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kawasaki hard to start when cold

My sympathy to you... I have 800A, and rough to warm up in cold weather. Your situation seems to be different than mine, but I think I understand the pain. :redface: Guess what I just was doing before reading this thread... I was looking for carb heater hahaha...
I believe that a oil heater or engine heater would help both of our starting problems. I have installed another battery....in addition to my original one giving me a total 38 amp hour cap. This help turn the engine over quicker and longer and the charging system has no problem keeping up the charge. I'm also going to try a thinner weight oil maby 10-w-20, just for the winter. I hate to tear into the carbs, because the thing runs soooooo gooood after you get it cranked.
I really like your bike...that 800 looks great!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I believe that a oil heater or engine heater would help both of our starting problems. I have installed another battery....in addition to my original one giving me a total 38 amp hour cap. This help turn the engine over quicker and longer and the charging system has no problem keeping up the charge. I'm also going to try a thinner weight oil maby 10-w-20, just for the winter. I hate to tear into the carbs, because the thing runs soooooo gooood after you get it cranked.
I really like your bike...that 800 looks great!
I put 5W-40 synthetic. Something called Rotella?
So far so good, but I will know when the temp gets close to 0F.
I raised the needle valve with two shims yesterday. With this, I was able to move the bike in 20 seconds from engine start.
Where did you put your secondary battery? Did you connect it directly to the main one in parallel? Or do you have some kind of circuitry?
I have not put any mod on my bike. Just a windshield lowers and engine guard. It's got its own style w/o and addition, I think. Thanks, man...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put 5W-40 synthetic. Something called Rotella?
So far so good, but I will know when the temp gets close to 0F.
I raised the needle valve with two shims yesterday. With this, I was able to move the bike in 20 seconds from engine start.
Where did you put your secondary battery? Did you connect it directly to the main one in parallel? Or do you have some kind of circuitry?
I have not put any mod on my bike. Just a windshield lowers and engine guard. It's got its own style w/o and addition, I think. Thanks, man...
I installed the other battery in parallel, the person that owned the bike before me installed a black plastic box on the back of the sissy bar to carry stuff in....I put the second battery in there. I ran 10 guage solid coductor under the seat to the other battery. You can't even see the mod I did....thank goodness!!! What I believe the real problem is a clogged or restricted bypass passage way in my carb. I know that changing the float height in the carb. can have dramatic changes in the amount of fuel going thru the bypass while starting, and running to!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Cool. I might try to mimic what you have on your bike. I put higher wattage brake lamp, and when it comes on, I can tell the head lamp gets little dark. If the charging system can handle it, why not..
I am guessing back and forth, if it is the restricted passage in the carb or not. It could be that the idle and the slow share the same passage. Then the odds are it is not the clogged passage, since the idle is fine. Also, when the needle valve is lifted by the shims, the problem goes away. If the slow circuit was the issue to begine with, the needle shim should not make any change. Then, again it is not the clogged slow circuit. I just do not know exactly from where to where the slow circuit plays the role, and from where the needle valve works.
You have a good point about the float bowl. I bought the bike from a dealer, then the same day the bike had leaking gas problem. They took it back, and may have bent it little bit.
Well it is all within 0 to 2 shims range, and it takes only 30 min to change it. Probably once in the summer and once in the winter. I will live...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 VN750 that I bought in May 2011 and it too is hard starting when it is cold. Cold weather compounds the hard start issue. It starts fine later, after it is warmed up, as long as you open the throttle about one third when cranking and do not use the choke. The position of the choke knob seems to be very critical whenever you start it for the first time. I previously owned a 1998 VN750 that was always easy to start but that may be because I kept it in a warm basement. The 2005 runs fine except for the cold start issue. It has only 3500 miles on it. Has a new Big Crank AGM battery, a small carrying rack behind the seat over the rear fender and a low profile tinted windscreen. Excellent condition. Anybody want to buy it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed 4 new iridium NGK spark plugs today in my 2005 VN750. It did NOT make a bit of difference with regards to the difficulty starting it when cold, regardless of the outside weather temperature. Still for sale, cheap. 3500 miles, looks and runs like new (once you get it started when it is cold).

·
Registered
100 Posts
How odd.
I'm currently helping my neighbor resolve the same issue with his 750.
I read somewhere that switching to "Bosch Platinum" plugs helped somewhat.
Since we're still tuning his carbs we haven't tried the Bosch Platinums yet so I can't add my opinion there, but that's what I read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs suggestion Leadfingers; however I tend to think that spark plugs are not the answer and I will tell you why. I read in this forum, and other forums, that iridium spark plugs are the way to go. So I bought 4 of them, checked the gaps [0.035] before installing, and they did not make a difference at all. Those plugs cost about $7.50 each. I also bought a BIG CRANK AGM battery earlier in the year, when it was still warm outside, and that was a very minimal help if any.

Seems like the choke position is important but there is something else that I believe is causing this situation. It is very annoying. The bike runs fine and starts easily after it has been started that first time for the day. If I find the solution I will update the forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts