Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this bike in the last 2 months and its been giving me some problems. So I cleaned the carbs and the bike ran fine for like a day. But after that it was hard to start and would shut off on me every few hundred meters until I set the bike on PRI, ran fine after that. Now I'm at the point where it will only ride properly if its set on PRI which isn't ideal since the bike is just eating gas by the handful, noticed some leaking coming out today as I started it as well. Anyone know what the issue could be?

·
Administrator
4,879 Posts
Stop riding immediately and check your engine oil. If it is overly full and smells of gasoline then fix the obvious internal carb leak first and then replace engine oil and filter. You will do serious engine damage if you ride with gasoline in your engine oil.

You appear to have two problems.

1) faulty petcock or broken/disconnected vacuum line.
2) faulty or stuck carb float valve or your float has a hole and has filled with gasoline and thus cannot do its job.

Fix the above, and then happy riding.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As for the only on Prime, the petcock I believe is vacuum operated in normal on position so it shuts the fuel off when engine is not running, possibly the petcock diaphragm is bad, Item #43028 here: 2005 Kawasaki NINJA 250R (EX250-F19) Fuel Tank | Ron Ayers Or someone has disconnected the hose to it.

Edit: forgot, I have heard of fuel running into the carb through the vacuum line if the diaphragm is bad, may not be the float valve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts