Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a kawasaki prairie 360 it is a 05 i brought it in because of a backfire at a quarter throtle i was riding it for about 4 hours and i shut it off i went to go ride it again and it started doing this so i took the carp off and cleaned it while apart i ordered a jet kit for it and put it in i put it all back together and it still did the same thing so i changed the plug and there was no changed so i drained the gas and put new gas in it still no change i dont no what to do now plz help

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I suspect dirty/plugged carburetor body passages if you have power below and above quarter throttle. If it just stops at quarter throttle and misses from there on out, then I would suspect either the needle jet holder tube or the vacuum diaphragm.

If you have a Canadian model, it could be the fuel primer pump in the float bowl has failed.

Go to Kawasaki.com and print out the parts diagram for your carburetor. Then completely disassemble and clean the carburetor with a first rate non-foaming carburetor cleaner.

Pay particular attention to being sure you remove the pilot air screw (in front of the fuel bowl and likely under a metal plug) and the pilot jet (in front of the main jet, numbered on the diagram but not listed in the parts list itself), and all the main jet and needle jet holder and guide assembly. Also be sure you remove the diaphragm cover and diaphragm and inspect that diaphragm for any cracks or pin holes - any leak and it will just bog out and not perform.

Inspect all the hard parts of the carburetor, then be sure that the body of the carburetor is open and clean in all internal passages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so my battery was dead and someone on another site told me that if the battery wasnt takin a charge that it would not send enough power to the coil so i checked that first and he was right but i thank you very much for the help

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Good catch, do not run any of these with a dead battery as the battery serves as a limiting capacitor for the alternator, and if bad it can allow the charging system to run so high that it can short out the igniter and in addition can cause the coil to break down from too high a field voltage and cause it to fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts