Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I picked up a 2005 mule 3010 a few months ago with only 355 hours. The machine is in excellent shape but i noticed its not going the advertised 25 mph. 20 mph is all it will do. I know its not a speed demon, and I'm not trying to make it one, but i would like it to go as fast as its supposed to. Its hot down here in the summer, and a little more wind in my face never hurts. I recently replaced fuel filter and plugs and now it will get up to 22mph . I put a "TinyTac" on it and found that the machine is governed to only 2900 rpms. I moved the spring a little and got it to the advertised 25mph, but at wot, on a flat road, the machine is at 3550 rpms. I've been searching for maximum SAFE rpms for this engine and results vary from 3000-4200rpms. I was hoping someone on here could give me a more definitive answer. Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
The 4000 series Mules typically run 4000-4100 RPM max, BUT they also have slightly stiffer valve springs. The valve springs are the limiting factor on these engines, you can use the 4000 series springs and get away with 4000-ish for a while. They'll run a lot more RPM than that but quite honestly it takes a lot more RPM to get much more speed out of them, and the rods aren't keen on it. Seen many a mule twin with rod(s) hanging out the side of the block, and most of them have either had the governor disabled or modified.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've been running it governed to 3500-3600 rpms WOT for a few weeks now. I'm satisfied with the speed and won't be making any more adjustments. Hopefully my rods will remain internal at this rpm range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts