Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes pads are locking my front wheel. I have changed the pads and the axle bearings- also changed the router. The tracking or the router is great. . The wheel is fine when I crack the nipple on the caliber. I have pumped the brake handle numerous times and things are fine. The next morning after sitting all night once again the front wheel is locked. Because it works fine after cracking the bleeder nipple releasing the pressure in the caliber it think the brake cylinders are opering fine. No air visable when I have opened the nibble. The fluid level in the resovior is fine. I have driven the bike around the complex and after driving a few hundred yards te bike starts to labor requiring more throtle to continue. The router heats up til it can't be touched. the pads are once again dragging.,
any past solutions with this?
thx,
will

·
Registered
882 Posts
Master cylinder is likely plugged. Replace it.

They "are" rebuildable, but generally speaking, 90% of most folks don't know how to properly do it, and being that it's a braking system, I suggest replacement of the master cylinder assembly.

What generally happens is--lack of maintenance. Brake hydraulic systems are not totally sealed, they can't be. There is a tiny vent in the top edge of the master cylinder cap, which allows air to enter as the fluid level drops, and allows air to escape as the brake hydraulic fluid expands with heat. Brake hydraulic fluid is hygoscopic. When it sucks air out of the air we breathe, it mixes in with the fluid, the fluid gets acidic and it congeals (this happens over YEARS of time not minutes or seconds), thus many never notice it-and many will say "ah, cookie monster is full of it". The congealed brake hydraulic fluid then plugs ports, swells rubber seals, rubber o-rings, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Master cylinder is likely plugged. Replace it.

They "are" rebuildable, but generally speaking, 90% of most folks don't know how to properly do it, and being that it's a braking system, I suggest replacement of the master cylinder assembly.

What generally happens is--lack of maintenance. Brake hydraulic systems are not totally sealed, they can't be. There is a tiny vent in the top edge of the master cylinder cap, which allows air to enter as the fluid level drops, and allows air to escape as the brake hydraulic fluid expands with heat. Brake hydraulic fluid is hygoscopic. When it sucks air out of the air we breathe, it mixes in with the fluid, the fluid gets acidic and it congeals (this happens over YEARS of time not minutes or seconds), thus many never notice it-and many will say "ah, cookie monster is full of it". The congealed brake hydraulic fluid then plugs ports, swells rubber seals, rubber o-rings, etc.
Thank you very much. Where is the best place to order parts and is the special tools for repairing the cylinder in the mater cylinder?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts