Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed my oil today on my 2005 zx12r. rode it about 44 miles out of town and when i desided to leave and head back, i heard a random tapping coming from inside the clutch housing. didnt do nothign different with the oil change but use a better fram filter (tg6607) instead of the regular fram (ph6607). added about 1/4 bottle of lucas and 3 quarts of valvoliine motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The Lucas additive is probably affecting cluch operation. If it were me, I'd change the oil as soon as possible.

Car oils and some additives have friction modifiers not compatable with our wet plate clutches. I'd suggest Shell Rotella as a oil that will work with your bike.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
depends on which lucas additive ya used...... read the bottle..... could very well be messing w/ things......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking that maybe it was the tough guard fram filter i used due to that anti drain back valve in it. well today im gonna change the oil and just use the val 10w40 oil. and a regular fram filter instead of the tough guard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
noise from clutch after oil change

i changed my oil today on my 2005 zx12r. rode it about 44 miles out of town and when i desided to leave and head back, i heard a random tapping coming from inside the clutch housing. didnt do nothign different with the oil change but use a better fram filter (tg6607) instead of the regular fram (ph6607). added about 1/4 bottle of lucas and 3 quarts of valvoliine motorcycle oil.
Hi,
I am the technical manager for FRAM. If you have been using the PH series of filters successfully, the TG filter would not cause this noise. I would change oil asap and get the additive out of there. Your bike uses a common sump for engine/trans and additives should not be used. If you have any further questions about filters, email me at [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts