Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a used 3010 diesel mule. 2006 with 1600 miles on it
The are asking just under $5000. Is this a good deal? What is high mileage for this engine? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ozarkmule

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would recommend you use KBB.com, the motorcycle link, and look up the value of the Mule in your area on that site.

As far as mileage is concerned, I go by hours of time. If the diesel is serviced, the air intake hoses and filters kept clean and tight with no leaks to allow dust into the engine, I would expect it to be good for over 5,000 hours of use. There are routine adjustments, like valve adjustment, torque converter and belt inspection and care, etc., that they require on a routine basis.

I usually see used diesel Mules in the 2006 year go for right at $7,000, if they are well cared for. But, I have also seen them go for $1,000 with engine and torque converter problems from use by an imbecile that is clueless about maintenance or runs without the air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I looked at the Kelley book retail value in my area and it quoted $6800. You have pointed out the problem with buying used, not knowing how it has been cared for. The dealer has done all the maintenance in order to prepare it for sale but how can one know how hard the vehicle has been treated? That is why I was asking about mileage. I think that the dealer listed it as 1600 miles but it must be hours as I don't remember seeing an odometer as a feature of this model. I will need to verify this.
How would one compare the diesel vs gas models? In other words what are pros and cons for each. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I will be using the Mule for farm/ranch work and some hunting on my 155 acre property.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I am clearly a diesel bigot and believe that diesel Mules are the only way to fly!

Gas engines are not bad, but do not have the fuel economy, the power, or the durability of a diesel.

Diesel can set around for months on end, start right up and go to work. Gasoline engines gunk up the carburetors and have all sorts of problems when setting around for only a couple of weeks to a month. So, they take special care with how the fuel is kept fresh, how it is treated to keep it from forming gum, and still will require carburetor work from time to time because of the low quality of gasoline that is available.

Diesels have far more torque for loading and pulling, so make a far better ranch unit than the gas rigs. I can pull a ground driven John Deere 12 foot windrow/tedder rake with one. That sure saves a ton of time when doing small hay fields or clean up after the bailer has been through and there are chunks of windrow still left that need to be consolidated.

I also load up over a 1,000 lb of hay and go feed with a diesel rig. Yes, I am way overloaded, but it works great and saves me the expense of running a tractor or truck. I also clean stalls, haul produce, hunt, and just have a blast with the diesel rig as it is flexible enough to do it all.

It does not blast around at 45 mph as does the brand X gas rigs, but I never have had anyone hurt running a Mule at sensible speeds, and can allow the grandkids to go out without any particular concerns for their safety. Also, how often does one need to go faster than 27 mph anyway? Most running is around 3-9 mph.

Also, if you have a wife that likes to "supervise" the expenditures, it is far easier to put them on a Diesel Mule for a day and have an ardent supporter of your choice of rigs than it is on a gas rig that does not do nearly as much work for the buck. The down side is that the diesel Mule will end up doing yard and flower duty all summer long because the wife will latch on to them because they are so easy to start and use, so you will need to buy her one of her own!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.