Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 KX250 last night. I noticed that the drain from the exhaust valve drips oil (spooge). I havent been in there yet, I'm sure it needs cleaning. Does anyone plug the hose up? I've yet to ride it to check jetting, etc...
Also, exhaust comes from the hose. Normal, or does that indicate the valve isn't closing completely?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Bit too new for mine, but i would suggest by experience the valve isnt closing correctly if its letting exhaust out. I am not sure though, if i am wrong im sure someone will correct me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, Kickass, but yes you are wrong. The spooge is normal, which is why there is a drain hose, to get rid of the accumulated oil. It is also common for a little exhaust to come out. So whatever you do don't plug the hose.

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
The vent hose helps to relieve pressure in the power valve chamber. And yes it is normal for some oil and exhaust to come out of the tube.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. these newfangled bikes are strange and foreign to me. my last one was a 97.
merry christmas.

·
Registered
895 Posts
these newfangled bikes are strange and foreign to me.
Yep, im only used to the old powervalve chamber on the LH side of the barrel with no pressure relif hose, not like these new'ns with the chamber on the front.

.::Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year::.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
I have a 2005 model, and it leaks a little oil and smokes a touch.

I was freaking out when I cranked it for the very first time. I was not used to it, either.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, this bike is amazing. I have to get in shape to be able to hang on well enough to pilot her proerly. Wow.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I clean some of the oil from the powervalve assembly without removing the cylinder? If nothing else, I was thinking of unplugging the drain hose and spraying some contact cleaner in there. Of course, it wouldblow all over the place when I start it up!

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
I think some of the carbon and goop would get on the cylinder walls, so that may not be a good thing.

Spraying some flammable liquid into the engine may not be so good either.

I would just clean it when disassembled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts