Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki Mule 3010 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) I am looking for help diagnosing a shifting issue… I physically cannot move the shifting lever into position H, L, or R. I am able to move the lever side to side with easy while being stuck in N… but, when trying to push into any gear, the resistance renders any strength futile (feels like you will snap the lever before it ever slide into gear). When moving the lever side to side while in N, I can see the linkage is making small parts on the exterior of the transmission move (positioning for the selected gear?), but cannot get the lever to move out of N and slide into to gear.

Questions, thoughts, suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Sounds like a Gate is blocking the Selection.
What History have you with the machine ?
How long have you owned it ?
Any work carried out lately ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this issue with my grandpas last year and it may have been pure luck, but it was the two screws holding the linkage bracket too tightly.

I was laughed at by a buddy for thinking it but when I said to hell with what he thought I pulled the screws a quarter Turn back and it started shifting. Had just enough play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a Gate is blocking the Selection.
What History have you with the machine ?
How long have you owned it ?
Any work carried out lately ?
Can you expand on “gate blocking the selection”…?… I don’t have deep mechamical knowledge, but am capable with explanation and guidance :)

Machine History…
I’ve owned it for a little over two years. Bought it off someone that had tore it all the way down and built it back up. It has ran fairly well during my time of possession. This is my first real issue with it (other than a small oil leak when parked).
I use it on my two acres of PNW forest with about 200-300ft of elevation on the property.
How we got here… I was using it this summer hauling brush from the top to bottom of the property. After brush unload at the bottom, I started the machine back up, but into 4x4, locked the differential, put into L… and heard a loud noise that I would describe as a bolt snapping (I got out and looked around… did not see any thing of the like). Hop back in the cab, drive to the top of the property… shift into N to successfully disengage the 4x4 and differential… then try shifting into H, and could not physically get it do so… continue to try all gears for a bit to no avail… end up coasting it back garage at that point. Been confused ever since :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had this issue with my grandpas last year and it may have been pure luck, but it was the two screws holding the linkage bracket too tightly.

I was laughed at by a buddy for thinking it but when I said to hell with what he thought I pulled the screws a quarter Turn back and it started shifting. Had just enough play.
I am going to look into this possibility tonight. I really really want it to be this simple :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do hope that you’re lucky enough as well. I’ve been through some interesting things with mine so feel free to ask me how I managed to fix other things on the fly. Haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts