Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang ,
How much gas have you ever put in the tank on your 900. At the very most Ive ever been able to get in is 2.9 -3.0 gallons. I even bring the gasoline up the top of the fill tube. I never have had the idiot light come on but the gauge its about bone dry. I range about 130 mile between fill ups. I looked up some specs tonight on the internet and they say the bike should hold 4.8 gallon tank. Not even if I filled my shoes, pockets ,ect could i even get close to 4 gallons. Im I missing something right under my lap? tanks alot Tim

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
That seems to be about normal for all 900s. You should read 1/2 a tank after about 50 miles or so and the guage should read empty before the light comes on. When the light comes on you should have about 1 gal of fuel before you are totally stranded. There are other threads and semi-fixes about this problem in this site.

·
Old enough to know better
40 Posts
My largest fill-up (when the bike was starved and gasping for fuel and I was lucky enough to re-start the engine and get the last 1/4 mile into the gas station) was 4.76 gallons. I just fill to the bottom of the neck tube where the overflow tube starts.

This bike is still fairly new to me, I've only filled it 22 times, but six of those fills have been over 4 gallons.

The published specs in the owners manual say it holds 20 L, or 5.3 US gallons but that must be slightly theoretical or something.:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's 5.3 gallons on my 2007 900 custom. I doubt the gas tank size changed year to year.

I get 180-190 miles before the light comes and then I'll ride for another 30 to 40 miles after that before I get gas

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
After coasting up to the gas pump, I've put 5.3 in the tank. The gas cools the pump though so DON'T DO THAT!!!

Having the bike start missing a beat about 10 minutes away from the nearest fuel really wears on your nerves.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
When the light first comes on, it flickers...then glows brighter and brighter.

I have an '06 LT. When the light was glowing steady, I pumped 4.8 gallons into it. If you judge by the gauge only, you will get about 3 gallons in it (but you still have over two gallons left). My "most ever" mileage was 220 miles on a single tank, but I won't do that again.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I was usually pumping in between 3.5 and 4 gallons. If I recall correctly, i usually had 220 to 240 miles on the tripometer when I was filling up. That was over a year ago though, so i'm not positive.

***I dont remember there being a 'light' that came on on my 900 Custom when i was low.. I just remember the gas guage that showed empty waaaay before I was low on gas. Maybe the classic is different..

·
Registered
574 Posts
The fuel gauges, from all I have seen are inaccurate. My custom holds 5.3 gallons. Dummy light comes on with about 1.4 gallon left although Kawa says it should be .9 gallon left. If you want to check your capacity you can fill up a water bottle with gas and run the bike until it dies. Pour in the bottle of gas and head for a gas station. Your fill up then will be about as close to the full tank as possible. Also sounds like you are not even getting down to the dummy light level, so unless it is burned out, you are filling up way early.

There is also a mod you can do with 260 ohm resisters that will make your gauge read more accurate. Check here.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Per the manual the light should come up when you have arround 0.9 of a gallon of fuel left but it actually come on around 1.5 or so. If you don't wait till the light comes on then thats why you are only putting around three gallons of fuel. The VN900 tank capasity is 5.3 gallons. I have put arround 4.5 gallas of fuel and I get arround 200 miles per tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Like Olddog, I could get 220 to a tank, but usually filled at 180 with everyone else. Do a search... there is a fix for the inaccurate guage - which works. Still always reset the trip meter...

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Light will come on at about 185 miles. Figure I can go about another 40 to 50 miles but usually will put gas in when light comes on. Gas gage is way off but you get used to it.

Lucky...

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Leave the idiot light and the gas gauge for the idiots like everyone has said. Ride up to 200 miles or so and fill up!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I did the resistor fix to mine. I drained all the fuel out measuered up what is suposed to be in there when the light comes on. Its like .8 gal. I forget now what the OHM rating is suposed to be but if you look around I'm sure you'll find it. Get the variable resistor from Radio Shack and put it under the tank. Get needle to be on empty with no fuel in tank. Then pour in the .8 gal and the light should just be on and adjust resistor to make it read where you want. I made mine so it wa in the orange I think. Piece of heat shrink over resistor reinstall tank and wiring, Your done. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/98090-gas-gauge-fix.html

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I did the resistor fix to mine. I drained all the fuel out measuered up what is suposed to be in there when the light comes on. Its like .8 gal. I forget now what the OHM rating is suposed to be but if you look around I'm sure you'll find it. Get the variable resistor from Radio Shack and put it under the tank. Get needle to be on empty with no fuel in tank. Then pour in the .8 gal and the light should just be on and adjust resistor to make it read where you want. I made mine so it wa in the orange I think. Piece of heat shrink over resistor reinstall tank and wiring, Your done. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/98090-gas-gauge-fix.html
Or if you have way more mechanical smarts than me you can do that! Why can't a large company like Kawasaki employ someone like you to figure that out at the factory??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You know I thought about actually making a "kit" a guy could install fairly easy. Problem is every sending unit is just a tick different on the OHM resistance needed to make the gauge read perfect when the light would come on. I actually pulled the wire out of the harness by releasing the clip that holds it, and running the resistor inbetween them and heatshrinking and taping it all up weatherproof. 230 to 260 OHM seems to be what I have in my notes for being pretty dang close to perfect. Certianly better than factory. Or some guys have literaly taken the needle off the gauge and reinstalled to make it look better. Then its like my old Ford use to be, on full long time then it looks like it got a hole in the tank the last 1/2. lol

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Like Olddog, I could get 220 to a tank, but usually filled at 180 with everyone else. Do a search... there is a fix for the inaccurate guage - which works. Still always reset the trip meter...
+1

When I am traveling, I will stop at 120-150 miles anyway (depending if Interstate or not), stretch legs, drink water/gatorade, and I refill with gasoline then, anyway. I did the "how-far-can-I-possibly-go" thing one time and one time only. I rarely get below 2-2.5 gallons anymore. (I also did the "how-fast-can-I-possibly-go" thing one time and one time only, also!) :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.