Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...I've never seen the official stock horsepower rating for my bike...does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
68 Posts
900 Custom Horsepower

I read a couple months ago a magazine report that listed the 2007 Custom at 54.4 HP. I'm sorry I don't remember the article or magazine.:frown:

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Check the dyno post, there is a dyno for a stock VN900 which give the HP at the wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The horsepower rating seems a little sad for a bike that looks so nice, am I dreaming? I would have expected more, not that I'm jumping fountains at Caesar's Palace, How would you OWNERS rate it for everyday driving and weekend cruizin', mainly need power to get out of the way, quickly or a quick pass, in Thailand they're sold for gold, like about $14,000 US, that's a lotta cash for potential disappointment, Thanks for your assistance...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
58 hp at 500 lbs
same as a 406hp in a 3500 lb car

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
How would you OWNERS rate it for everyday driving and weekend cruizin', mainly need power to get out of the way, quickly or a quick pass, in Thailand they're sold for gold, like about $14,000 US, that's a lotta cash for potential disappointment, Thanks for your assistance...
That depends on your size, if you will be riding with a passenger and/or storage. When I had my 900 Custom, it had plenty of power for me to get quickly pass or get out of the way if needed, but I only weigh 185 pounds and never rode 2 up or had anything else adding weight.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
That depends on your size, if you will be riding with a passenger and/or storage. When I had my 900 Custom, it had plenty of power for me to get quickly pass or get out of the way if needed, but I only weigh 185 pounds and never rode 2 up or had anything else adding weight.
+1
Occassionally I go 2up and has enough power even then.
Not a speed demon but can keep up with the big boys.
now someone mentioned $14k for a vn900, i can only imagine what more expensive bikes cost upthere... so $14k could be a good price for that side of the world.

·
Custom 800
426 Posts
The horsepower rating seems a little sad for a bike that looks so nice, am I dreaming? I would have expected more, not that I'm jumping fountains at Caesar's Palace, How would you OWNERS rate it for everyday driving and weekend cruizin', mainly need power to get out of the way, quickly or a quick pass, in Thailand they're sold for gold, like about $14,000 US, that's a lotta cash for potential disappointment, Thanks for your assistance...
yahama roadstar 1700 is 60 hp, all harleys 96cu are at 65, vulcan 1500 and 1600 not much more than 58-60. hp is not that big of a deal in the cruiser scene. look at the street bikes high hp numbers and low torq. numbers. ride what you like and forget about hp build torq.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
It runs mid 14's in the quarter...plenty to get out of the way...enough to have a bit of fun every now and again.

Really is a great bike, just not my personal choice for a lot of interstate riding...on backroads the thing is near perfect.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
My buddy has one. It would outrun the 1100 Shadow Sabre I had. It's a blast to ride. He's very happy with it and I like riding it too.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
One of our local shops has a printout of a 900 Custom before (43 hp, 52 ft lbs torque) and after putting Hard Krome short pipes with a Thunder big air kit and fuel controller. After HP was about 55 and torque was about 65. Roughly a 20% increase, but moved the power band lower in the rpm's.

I started thinking about how that would affect my cruising. Around town would be awesome with a 20% gain, but if I have to curtail my interstate cruising, I will have to pass.

BTW, I really like my Custom. I am considering the above upgrades, but still in the consideration mode.

·
Cruisin above overcast.
1,020 Posts
Mine left my buddies fuel injected Dyna in the dust. He thought a 900 was a "small" bike before that lol.

·
Chillin in Chiang Mai
59 Posts
Hi

I live here in Thailand and have a 2008 Vulcan 900 classic bought new.

I have clocked up 22,000k riding all over thailand including down to your neck of the woods.

I have only good things to say about the bike and done lots of quick passes and it has plenty of power to get you out of any trouble

certainly not a disappointment FAR FROM IT

·
Registered
570 Posts
58 hp at 500 lbs
same as a 406hp in a 3500 lb car
You have the right idea with a hp/wt ratio, but need to change a number for a more realistic result, IMHO.
I believe a 900 is over 600 lbs., so that would work out to 338 hp in a 3500 lb car. Those numbers are in base Covette realm, but the 900 won't perform near that car. (base Vette 400 crank hp and about 3300 lbs if I recall)

1 - 20 of 157 Posts