Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I went hunting and used my mule on Friday afternoon and then put it on the trailer. Did not use it Saturday morning! I was walking by the trailer Saturday afternoon and noticed smoke coming from under the bed and notice the little red boat that covers the starter hot wire was burning. Well something shorted and now the bike want start and i have no electrical working on the bike.

Any help on what I need to do and mybe what caused this would be greatly appericated!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
This could be as simple as water in the starter relay, or a shorted starter solenoid. The best method to ascertain the problem is to disconnect the cable where you observed the smoke.

Take your multimeter and check the terminal where you disconnected the cable for a short. If it is shorted, it is likely the starter solenoid. If it is not shorted, then likely what happened is the starter relay is faulty and kicked in with the Mule in gear so the starter could not turn the engine over, so it just set there and cooked.

If the starter got hot enough while it was attempting to engage, it could be shorted and you still have a relay problem.

If you do not have the Service manual, I strongly recommend you acquire one. It does not have to be the one from Kawasaki, as they all contain the essential diagrams and component descriptions so you can effectively check the system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.