Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 610 keeps fouling plugs. Had it in shop for 10 hour checkup but they did nothing to help. It now out of warranty. I just installed a hotter plug. We'll see if that helps.
How do you adjust air/gas mix on carb?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The carburetor on the 07 610 has a needle jet under a plug on the side. Then there is a pilot jet on the top that can be changed, but it is usually too lean, so not likely the culprit. The main jet is replaceable and located on the bottom of the casting where it sets down in the float bowl.

If you adjust the needle jet, it is necessary to pop that plug out of the carburetor body to reach the jet. A really small drill in the center of the plug that just pokes a hole, then the use of a pick to pop it out works best. Do not drill too far or you will be buying a new carburetor.

When you adjust that jet make sure the engine is fully warmed, and adjust it at idle to get the best idle, then speed the engine up to not more than 1,800 rpms and adjust that screw until the engine sounds like it is running the best. There will be a clearly heard change in engine exhaust tone when it is running the best at 1,800 rpm, you cannot miss the sound.

If you go to Kawasaki.com and follow the Owner Info links to the parts diagrams, you can get a good idea of the location of the adjustable needle jet.

Generally, what I see when a newer low hour 610 starts fouling plugs is that it was never broken in properly and the owner switched to a high quality synthetic before it was broken in. Excessive idling with synthetic oil will also foul the plugs as the oil is thin enough that it slips past the rings under high vacuum (idle) running conditions.

It is easy to break one in even after they have been run for considerable time and not properly broken in. Just make sure you have clean conventional oil and go take it for a day long woods ride or sightseeing trip where you run it at least 80% of the time at higher engine speeds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.