Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this in my 900 shop manual:

The radiator fan is connected directly to the battery.
The radiator fan may start even if the ignition
switch is off. NEVER TOUCH THE RADIATOR FAN
UNTIL THE RADIATOR FAN CONNECTOR IS DISCONNECTED.
TOUCHING THE FAN BEFORE THE
CONNECTOR IS DISCONNECTED COULD CAUSE
INJURY FROM THE FAN BLADES.

Problem is that on my '07 900, if on, the fan turns off when the ignition is turned off. Turn the ignition back on and the fan comes back on.

Is this another misprint on the normal function of the 900 cooling system?

Is this how the fan on your 900 functions?

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
ditto, i try to wait to shut off my bike if i notice its on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, I wait until the fan goes off before I shut her down with the key.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Problem is that on my '07 900, if on, the fan turns off when the ignition is turned off. Turn the ignition back on and the fan comes back on.

Is this another misprint on the normal function of the 900 cooling system?

Is this how the fan on your 900 functions?
Yes. My 07 900 shuts off with the key, wife's 02 800 is independent of the key.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Mine too...Shuts off with the key...The manual is a misprint.
On ny previous vn750...the fan would run without the key being turned on.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If the bikes not running the fan is just cooling the fluid in the radiator, I don't believe there is any flow in the system. So save your battery and just turn the bike off regardless of whether the battery is going or not. It'll cool down all by itself.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
If the bikes not running the fan is just cooling the fluid in the radiator, I don't believe there is any flow in the system. So save your battery and just turn the bike off regardless of whether the battery is going or not. It'll cool down all by itself.
+1

There is no flow with out the motor/water pump running. Shut 'er off, your just depleting the battery, that's why Kawasaki put it on the key! :eek:

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
On the 1500 and 1600 the Fan +24 VDC is wired direct to the fan Via a fuse. The ground is switched Via the Fan Temp. Switch. (No Relay)

On the 900 they made a change and did not take the disclaimer out. They wire the 0 VDC or -12VDC directly to the fan. They now switch the +12VDC through a single pole relay. The coil of this relay is controlled through the ECU. This unit is powered down when the key is switched off, therefore the fan would be switched off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Another manual misprint. Hey do you know the manual tells you to keep 28 psi in your tires, and the tire reads 40 or 41. Quess what the correct psi should be?

D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Fan

My fan rarely comes on.. I've never noticed. The machines are water cooled with additioanl air cooling and as much oil that is in them... the oil is cooling it also.
This time of the year, my fan rarely comes on too. During the warmer months, I can see it run all the time.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
So does everyone run 40psi in the rear? I knew 28 was way conservative but I've been running between 34 and 36. I had been wondering if bumping it to 40 would affect the ride too harshly.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
ditto, i try to wait to shut off my bike if i notice its on.
That's funny, I thought I was the only one a little OCD in that department. If my fan is running, I will wait until it kicks off to shut off the bike!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts