Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3/30/2020
I am looking into purchasing a 2007 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT with 13250 miles on it, it is at a dealership here in Michigan. I am turning 60 this year and had a 2007 Harley-Davidson sportster custom XL1200, but looking at this 900 Classic LT would be my first Big bike. The problem I'm NOW having is i'm not sure if I should purchase it or not I read on various sites that they almost ALL have STATOR problems at sometime with the 900's.
Could you give me some input on STATOR problems if you had this happen or not and at how many Miles if you did !!
Thanks and I am new to this forum today, so hello everyone I'm Paul.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
Hi Paul.

Are you a DIY guy? If so, the "stator problem" really is no big deal. Every bike I've owned has its own "personality quirks" and to me working with them is one of the joys of ownership. My current bike, purchased in Jan 2008, has afforded me the opportunity to dive deep into motorcycle maintenance that I began with the Kaw 1500 Classic before that. I'm now able to do everything from oil changes to valve shim replacements and everything in between. Because I'm doing all my own maintenance now, I have much more confidence that the bike will not leave me stranded. I'll tell you, I've had some bad, bad experiences at dealerships. Not any more!

Before you offhandedly dismiss a fine ride like the 900 Classic, spend an evening looking at You Tube. Seriously, someone has probably posted a video of the stator replacement in action. Get an idea of what's involved. Search here and maybe other forums. And maybe talk to the service guy at the dealership and see what his price would be. I'd hate for you to pass up a good riding opportunity on a rumor.

And congrats on the impending doom of the Big 6-Oh. Mine is next week. Had a pizza and wine party with a few friends planned, before the COVID-19 hit. Oh well, maybe next month!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul.

Are you a DIY guy? If so, the "stator problem" really is no big deal. Every bike I've owned has its own "personality quirks" and to me working with them is one of the joys of ownership. My current bike, purchased in Jan 2008, has afforded me the opportunity to dive deep into motorcycle maintenance that I began with the Kaw 1500 Classic before that. I'm now able to do everything from oil changes to valve shim replacements and everything in between. Because I'm doing all my own maintenance now, I have much more confidence that the bike will not leave me stranded. I'll tell you, I've had some bad, bad experiences at dealerships. Not any more!

Before you offhandedly dismiss a fine ride like the 900 Classic, spend an evening looking at You Tube. Seriously, someone has probably posted a video of the stator replacement in action. Get an idea of what's involved. Search here and maybe other forums. And maybe talk to the service guy at the dealership and see what his price would be. I'd hate for you to pass up a good riding opportunity on a rumor.

And congrats on the impending doom of the Big 6-Oh. Mine is next week. Had a pizza and wine party with a few friends planned, before the COVID-19 hit. Oh well, maybe next month!
Thank you so much for answering my question! The bike is beautiful it is candy apple red with titanium two-tone like I said it only has 13,000 miles on it so I don’t think that’s too bad of miles for 13 years old.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
13k in 13 yrs? Heck no, not bad at all. My current bike had 16k the first yr. I'm up to 128,2xx now (bought new in Jan 2008)

·
Registered
85 Posts
ALL brands/models of motorcycles can have some stator problems. You may never have to touch it. Even if you do, it's not that hard a job. Go for it.

900 Vulcans are pretty reliable bikes. Only thing I remember hearing was some models had a squeaky belt drive, don't remember the fix, may have been to replace one of the pulleys. Still wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Edit, the more I think about it, that may have been the VN2000,,, dang memory.,..

·
Sick Puppy
3,198 Posts
ALL brands/models of motorcycles can have some stator problems. You may never have to touch it. Even if you do, it's not that hard a job. Go for it.

900 Vulcans are pretty reliable bikes. Only thing I remember hearing was some models had a squeaky belt drive, don't remember the fix, may have been to replace one of the pulleys. Still wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Edit, the more I think about it, that may have been the VN2000,,, dang memory.,..
The squeaky belt on 900's is due to it being adjusted too tight from the factory. Remedy is just to loosen the belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts