Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and I need some help. I brought my 2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600 used in March of 2008 and since then I've put about 20,000 miles on it. Well over the past two to three months I've been having problems with it starting. The bike is kept outside and the average temperature when the problems started has been around 40 to 60 degrees. When I try to start the bike in the mornings, with or without the choke, the guages start dimming. (Sometimes I can push start it and sometimes I can't, I guess that is depending on how much of a charge is left in the battery.) I've removed the battery and placed it on a charger for a day and when I put the battery back in, it will start up most times without a problem, other times even with a full charge, I will have to push start it and then it will start without a problem. Lately, however, even with a full charge, while riding the lights will dimm when I squeeze the break lever and then go back bright when I release. I also added some LED's to the bike and I've disconnected that from the battery but I'm still have that problem. So I need some help as far as what it might be that is causing this problem and how to fix it. Sorry for the long winded description. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
It could be a problem with the charging system (stator, regulator/rectifier), battery, or a wiring problem (loose/dirty ground etc). Do you use a battery tender to keep the battery at max charge? Have you checked/cleaned the battery connections? Check the main ground to make sure it's clean and tight. How old is the battery and have you had it tested? Have you tested the charging system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a tender and keep the battery charged when I'm not riding. The battery terminals are clean as well. I don't know how old the battery is, it came with the bike when I brought it used. How do I go about testing the charging system and where would the main ground be?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Can you use one of these Puppies ?

You can source a DMM (Digital Multimeter) locally and there not that expensive

Great for a multitude of diagnostics including checking:-
Battery Voltage.
Charging Rate.

As Mike says Battery/Charging system sounds like the culprit.

The main ground wire is the Black (Negative) lead from the battery, Follow it down to the crankcase (Engine) and check where it bolts onto the Crankcase.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the newer Kawasaki's, but I think in your case your bike has a smaller version of a car alternator. Brushes may be worn or the alternator has an electrical problem.

Check for belt slippage as I believe the alternator is turned by a belt off the crankshaft.

Again,I'm not sure when Kawasaki changed from the spinning magnet alternators to the smaller car type.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If it's like what I've got in my old 82 GPz1100 B2, a spinning magnetic rotor turns around a wire wound stator producing three phase Alternating Current(A.C.) at about 50 volts at 4000 rpm(checked with the electrical connector undone from the alternator).

This is converted to Direct Current(D.C)by the regulator/rectifier to run the bike's electrical system,and charge the battery. Any excess current is dissipated as heat off the cooling fins of the regulator/rectifier.

A good trouble shooting page is available at ElectroSport Industries - Motorcycle, Dirt Bike and ATV Aftermarket Electrical Parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.