Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by admitting I'm not knowledgeable at all, but I can follow directions and have used a copy of the Service Manual to help me replace all filters and fluids as needed. One day a few weeks ago, the Mule would crank but the engine wouldn't turn over. Never happened before. After lifting the seat, on a whim the first thing I did was to remove the cover on the air cleaner, probably because it's big and easy to do. Surprised to discover that the bottom of the case had about two inches of liquid that smelled very gassy. Couldn't tell if it was mainly water with a tiny bit of gas in it, or if gas was a high percentage. Anyway, I drained it all out. I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new fuel filter, and just for grins, a new fuel pump since it's easy to replace, not too expensive, and fuel seemed to be related to whatever the problem was, so why not. I had dragged the Mule's rear wheels up onto a couple of ramps that are about a foot high and it had sat there for several weeks. Today I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. I put the key in the ignition and it started right up, but after a minute or so it died no matter how I finessed the gas pedal. I managed to get it started again and the same thing happened. But this time, while it was still running, I noticed a lot of oil leaking out of the little round brass breather hole (?) on top of the brand new fuel pump. That was when I noticed that the Mule was blowing a huge amount of smoke out of the exhaust. I checked the oil level and it was way high, and I know I didn't over fill it.

So here's what I'm thinking. I don't know why the Mule wouldn't start or why the air cleaner filled with water/gas. But after I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, it did turn over and run, so maybe I fixed whatever was wrong, but then the oil got into the fuel pump. I'm wondering if THAT happened because I ran it for a minute or two while the rear wheels were up on the ramps? And being up on the ramps was what made the oil level appear high on the dipstick? Anyway, can anyone explain in words even a caveman can understand, what might be wrong, and what I should do to fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not expert on mules. But if you can smell the oil and see if it smells like gas. At face value if you know you didn't over fill the oil. It's either filling with fuel or coolant. I don't know if your water cooled or not. If you are water cooled it's time to check the radiator.

Oh well i'm not a mule guy but this will bump the post. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll start by admitting I'm not knowledgeable at all, but I can follow directions and have used a copy of the Service Manual to help me replace all filters and fluids as needed. One day a few weeks ago, the Mule would crank but the engine wouldn't turn over. Never happened before. After lifting the seat, on a whim the first thing I did was to remove the cover on the air cleaner, probably because it's big and easy to do. Surprised to discover that the bottom of the case had about two inches of liquid that smelled very gassy. Couldn't tell if it was mainly water with a tiny bit of gas in it, or if gas was a high percentage. Anyway, I drained it all out. I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new fuel filter, and just for grins, a new fuel pump since it's easy to replace, not too expensive, and fuel seemed to be related to whatever the problem was, so why not. I had dragged the Mule's rear wheels up onto a couple of ramps that are about a foot high and it had sat there for several weeks. Today I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. I put the key in the ignition and it started right up, but after a minute or so it died no matter how I finessed the gas pedal. I managed to get it started again and the same thing happened. But this time, while it was still running, I noticed a lot of oil leaking out of the little round brass breather hole (?) on top of the brand new fuel pump. That was when I noticed that the Mule was blowing a huge amount of smoke out of the exhaust. I checked the oil level and it was way high, and I know I didn't over fill it.

So here's what I'm thinking. I don't know why the Mule wouldn't start or why the air cleaner filled with water/gas. But after I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, it did turn over and run, so maybe I fixed whatever was wrong, but then the oil got into the fuel pump. I'm wondering if THAT happened because I ran it for a minute or two while the rear wheels were up on the ramps? And being up on the ramps was what made the oil level appear high on the dipstick? Anyway, can anyone explain in words even a caveman can understand, what might be wrong, and what I should do to fix it? Thanks.
Were you able to fix your Mule? I'm having similar issues, but didn't have it on ramps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts