Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 2007 in the books, here's a recap of the years events.
My 1600 Classic covered 21,275 miles this year. I used 479 gallons of gas for an average of 44.39 mpg. Best trip... Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Glen Canyon, Monument Valley ~1300 miles. Longest 1-day ride - 875 miles Phoenix to Denver (or Denver to Phoenix). Replaced tires in May with ME 880's... 12,275 miles on them to date with about 50% wear. Had a frayed wire repaired in August and a stripped bolt on the water pump Dec. 31. That's it.

Overall the bike ran great all the time with no performance issues, and just the minor maintenance issues mentioned above. I am unhappy with the 3" Big Straights but they will remain until they finally crack off. I am very pleased with the 5.3 gallon tank and over-the-road range and mileage.

Lessons learned. 1. DON'T BUY SLANT BAGS! Although I like the look of the slant bags they limit what you can put into them. I opted for form over function and do not like the result.
2. A fuel processor is unnecessary with just aftermarket pipes. The proof is in the riding. I logged 20,000 after I pitched the dyno tune map and the bike could not have performed better.
3. The 3 most improtant things are gear, gear and gear. Pay a little more, get good stuff and you can ride comfortably in any conditions.
4. If there is a better bike for my needs, I would sure like to find it. The 1600 is perfect for my riding style, proved to be a real workhorse on long trips, never ran out of power and got great mileage. Woohoo!
5. Riding is a blast when your wife/partner also rides. She piled up 12,500 miles on her 800 and kept pace across the mountains and deserts.
6. The 2.25 gallon tour tank on my wife's 800 Classic transformed her bike into a real road warrior. When your fuel lasts longer than your arse you have hit the jackpot!
We are off to a good start in '08 with favorable riding conditions. We have trips planned to Colorado, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe, Reno Air Races, Bonneville, Canyon Lands and the Arches NP's (UTAH), North Rim of Grand Canyon and Mexico. That should bank another 30,000 miles and that means new bikes!
Enjoy the ride!

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Good to hear about your experiences with the Vulcan. New scoot at the end of the year? Naw...it's just gettin broke in.

·
Registered
966 Posts
WOW, well I can tell you have enjoyed your ride, and I hope you enjoy your rides this year be safe and enjoy the ride :)

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Great to hear you had such a great year. Not suprised that your bike took a licking and kept on ticking. After all, it is a kawasaki. "LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL".

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like the 1600 hits the trifecta with power, economy & comfort.
I've got slants on my 900, but looking for something else. Slants are fine if you have the exposed shocks on the sides. If not, then yeah you're giving up some storage space.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it has been a very fun year. BTW it is never too late to ride seriously. My wife had never been on a bike, never. She took the MSF 2 years ago on the dark side of 60 and I bought her a Shadow 600 as a graduation present. She went out every evening by herself and worked on the basic and how to ride the twisty roads near home. She put about 6000 miles on the 600 and has logged over 12,000 on her 800 this year. She is very proficient and commutes to work everyday on her bike. Regardless of when you start riding, you can quickly develop your skills with lots of seat time. We are already planning our '08 trips. Get out there and ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.