Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm a newb to Kawasaki's, had Honda, Suzuki, a Yamy and Harley just never a Kaw. I'm checking things out on my (new to me) 2007 Nomad and making the assumption that all fluids are to be checked for levels when the bike is upright not on kickstand, correct?
Also, I'm having an issue with the air shocks. I searched site and can't find anything that relates to this. I can't get my pump to put air into the shocks, like the pump is up against a bolt and not a valve. When I take a small screwdriver and depress the valve core nothing comes out, like shock is empty, completely, not even a 'puff' that you would get if there was just no air in shock (does that make sense). As I write this I'm thinking I should just replace the valve cores, cheapest way to start.
Any other thoughts?
And, yes, I know not to use compressed air, I'm using a bicycle pump.
Thanks to all for the info source!

H

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Ok, so I'm a newb to Kawasaki's, had Honda, Suzuki, a Yamy and Harley just never a Kaw. I'm checking things out on my (new to me) 2007 Nomad and making the assumption that all fluids are to be checked for levels when the bike is upright not on kickstand, correct?
What does your owners manual say ;)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let’s see...nuthin’

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Meaning you don't have one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Correct, I bought a 13 year old used bike. I got a key, it doesn’t even have a windshield. And as I said I’m new to Kawi’s thus my questions.

·
971 Posts
Fluids should be checked with the bike on the center stand or held vertical if no center stand.
For your shocks, cores are cheap so I would start with a new core. I gather that access is difficult but there has to be a way to get a tire pressure gage onto the valve stem and to be able to add air. Not sure why access is difficult on your bike. Can you post a picture? I have heard that 10-20 psi should be sufficient but only add air with a manual tire pump. An air compressor can damage the shocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks WFO, I was assuming that was true on the Kawi. As for the shocks, I can get to the valve stem just fine, no problem with access, just not able to add air with my pump to either side, like you've clamped onto a bolt instead of a valve, I'm pushing down and no air is going in - plunger will bounce back up. And no readings or sounds of air escaping when I try to take pressure, I've pushed down the core plunger with a small screw driver and nothing comes out, not even a 'puff'. It's the same on either side so that's why I was thinking I may be missing something, may be operator error. Was hoping for some insight on it.

Thanks again

H

·
971 Posts
Ok, now I understand. Have you put new cores in? How does the bike handle now? Apparently the default setting from the factory is zero air pressure. You add air if riding two-up or are a heavy rider with lots of luggage. So you may be fine with zero air pressure.

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
At kawasaki.com you can at least read the owners manual for free. Don't know if you can download it but it's a start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New cores are in, no pressure release when the old ones were removed. Still very difficult to add air, using a bicycle pump and it takes my weight on the plunger. But they've got air in 'em now, so I got that going for me.

Thanks for conversation guys (or gals, or whatever pronoun you feel best describes you, no judging)

H

·
971 Posts
Glad to hear the progress. If you can raise the back wheel off the ground it should be much easier to add air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, I'm having an issue with the air shocks. I searched site and can't find anything that relates to this. I can't get my pump to put air into the shocks, like the pump is up against a bolt and not a valve. When I take a small screwdriver and depress the valve core nothing comes out, like shock is empty, completely, not even a 'puff' that you would get if there was just no air in shock (does that make sense). As I write this I'm thinking I should just replace the valve cores, cheapest way to start.
Any other thoughts?

H
I have attach a service manual for you welcome to the club

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any other thoughts?

H
Hello there,

Can you post some pics of your shocks to where this bolt is obstructing the Schrader valve? To put air into thes shocks assuming that the valves aren't obstructed, You need a pump that is used for bicycle shocks. Its has a fitting that enables you to disengage the valve core before removing the fitting from the schrader valve without losing pressure in the shocks. I think max pressure is only about 43psi. You also need to put air in these shocks when the back wheel is off the ground.

Hope this helps
John
Hepheastus motorcycles (Liverpool UK)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello there,

Can you post some pics of your shocks to where this bolt is obstructing the Schrader valve? To put air into thes shocks assuming that the valves aren't obstructed, You need a pump that is used for bicycle shocks. Its has a fitting that enables you to disengage the valve core before removing the fitting from the schrader valve without losing pressure in the shocks. I think max pressure is only about 43psi. You also need to put air in these shocks when the back wheel is off the ground.

Hope this helps
John
Hepheastus motorcycles (Liverpool UK) View attachment 41434
Thanks John,
I think you may have misunderstood, there is not a bolt in the way - it's 'like' the pump is on a bolt and not a valve. that's how it feels. I've got a bicycle pump that I can access the valve with. Getting the rear wheel up off the ground will be the tricky thing.
Thanks again my friend and keep the rubber side down

H

1 - 17 of 17 Posts