Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 900 Custom, love the looks and all the reviews/tests are very positive. The only real issue discussed through-out this forum is that the 900 perhaps revs too high during highway cruising (70-80mph). Is it really that pronounced? None of the magazine reviews I've read really mentioned it. Any feedback from 900 owners would be a help. Also, debating between the lime green or passion red, both are sharp in person.

·
Father Guidosarducci
565 Posts
Well mine is an 07 and yes it does run a little high but scootworks sells a replacement pulley that will take care of the high rpms. Lot of peeps with the 900 have done the swap and swear by it. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I have an 06LT which is certainly a little different than the custom, but you will have some vibration once you hit 70 on the speedo. It is not the type of vibration however that makes you feel like something is going to break. I put on ISO grips and a Mustang seat and the vibration is barely noticeable...plus after a year and a half, I'm used to all of the quirks and still love it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
the smaller the mill, the higher it'll rev...typically

the 900's do rev high and if that is a bother, like said you can replace the belt pulley to help. I think Rod2625 (roger) said it was a godsend when he had it done, helped mileange and reduced the filling rattles

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
The issue is not the bike but the perception of riders. It is a small bore bike and it is supposed to rev. Evidently many of the novice riders do not understand this. My wife rode her 800 all over the west, through the mountains of AZ, CO, NM, and CA at beyond legals speeds with absolutely no problem. Trips >1500 miles were not an issue, nor was rpm. I suspect a lot of the 900 owners expect the low rpm thump of a bigger bike. It ain't gonna happen. Ride your 900 as it was designed and both you and the bike will be happy. Does it rev too high to ride at 80 mph.... or beyond? No.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
The issue is not the bike but the perception of riders. It is a small bore bike and it is supposed to rev. Evidently many of the novice riders do not understand this. My wife rode her 800 all over the west, through the mountains of AZ, CO, NM, and CA at beyond legals speeds with absolutely no problem. Trips >1500 miles were not an issue, nor was rpm. I suspect a lot of the 900 owners expect the low rpm thump of a bigger bike. It ain't gonna happen. Ride your 900 as it was designed and both you and the bike will be happy. Does it rev too high to ride at 80 mph.... or beyond? No.
I disagree it's not novice riders it's just option that can be added just like pipes. It's no different than changing the sprockets on a chain drive. Even with the smaller 900 engine that does rev higher than bigger bikes and no it's not hurting it. I still think that 5th on the 900 isn't tall enough. I've followed rider's reviews about the pulley closely on this forum and it doesn't appear to take away from the 900 so if it helps the bike feel less buzzy at that speed why not do it?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I disagree it's not novice riders it's just option that can be added just like pipes. It's no different than changing the sprockets on a chain drive. Even with the smaller 900 engine that does rev higher than bigger bikes and no it's not hurting it. I still think that 5th on the 900 isn't tall enough. I've followed rider's reviews closely on this forum and it doesn't appear to take away from the 900 so if it helps the bike feel less buzzy at that speed why not do it?
I won't say it's novice riders, but I will say it is an issue of perception. So many riders are expecting the 900 to sound like a big cruiser, even my girlfriends shadow 750 "seems" to cruise at a lower rpm. But to be honest, after the first couple of hours I spent on my first long trip with it I don't really notice anymore, and part of it was realizing that yes, that is how this bike is supposed to run. The 900 idles at a high RPM and it cruises at a high RPM and okay so it does not sound quite as cool as some of those big twins out there but... partially because of those very things it has a [email protected]#L of a lotta kick for its class. As far as vibration issues I would have to disagree as well. This is the smoothest riding bike I have owned, and everyone I've traded bikes with agree. Does it vibrate, well yes but show me a cruiser that doesn't vibrate and I'll show you a cruiser that probably isn't running;) and yes after saying all that, I do plan on getting the scootworks pully... just to stretch a little more out of it:biggrin:

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
I have the pulley and it is great it smooths out first gear for when you are in traffic....

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
I have to say that since my bike has got some miles on it and the pipes air kit and fi processor things have smoothed out dramatically and I do not have the pulley on mine. I notice no real buzziness or high rpms but that is probably from riding some of the older smaller cc twins.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 900 stock at highway speeds. I spent all summer running the thing between 70-100 mph with no problems. NO, it doesn't sound like a bigger bike with a big, long stroke engine. But its about 1/2 of a sporty. It's a small Vtwin designed with city driving in mind. I spend more of my time at highway speeds as noted, so I bought the pulley to bring the top RPM's down a bit and correct the speedometer error. Both being done now I could only be happier with my bike if it was a Nomad or a V2K. I'd like the V2K and if only I had waited till this time of the year to buy I would have paid the same money for a just broken in bike and had one heck of a lot more bike. After I wear this bike out quite a bit more and get my wife used to the idea that I'm going to be riding so she might as well just deal with it, I'll trade up.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
None of the mags mention it because it's par for the course for a medium to small displacement cruiser. My buddy has a VTX1300 and he says even it is buzzy at highway speeds. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I haven't done any long trips on it yet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The VN 900 does revs high at high speed

I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 900 Custom, love the looks and all the reviews/tests are very positive. The only real issue discussed through-out this forum is that the 900 perhaps revs too high during highway cruising (70-80mph). Is it really that pronounced? None of the magazine reviews I've read really mentioned it. Any feedback from 900 owners would be a help. Also, debating between the lime green or passion red, both are sharp in person.
I had mine for over a yr now and I can onestly tell you that it does revs high on 70+mph. Not as much as a small bike 750 or under but high enough to bother you sometimes. It really doesn't bother me much but when ryding with the crew with bigger bikes then you really which you had a bigger bike. Now I'm in the looks for a front polley, the rear one is kinda of expensive compared to the front one. That's basicly the only thing that sucks on this 900. Large bike looks with a midsize engine (big back bone with a little heart BUT great personality!!!).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I rode a 900 after being used to my 1500 and it seems busy at speed............but then when I ride with a bunch of harleys...mine seems busy......all relative, I guess. I'm sure if it was a problem, you would see the freeways riddled with grenaded 900.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
What I noticed in mine is that it was fine 70-75, but once it got to 80 there was a buzz in the feet. I was not concerned about it sounding like it was busy, but I did not want that vibration in my feet if I was going to be running at that speed for any distance. With the pulley I can run 80 (GPS, speedo is still about 3mph off) all day long. And that is pulling about 300+ pounds of rider and gear down the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sup to the indvidual rider me thinks! I have only 300 miles on mine and i honestly cant say jsut yet. I do know the it is a lot nicer, queiter, smoother, than the Honda 750 I had. Def not even close. The Vulcan is not that buzzy!
Like a guy said above they all have a buzz!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I have been looking through this forum for the last few weeks. I am looking for an 'entry level' bike as I am moving from dirt bikes to a cruiser. I am not a novice rider, by any stretch, but you expressed my concerns exactly.

After reviewing this forum (many, many threads), it seems to be something that is inherant with the size of the motor and you either live with it or move on. Myself, I am still going to get a 900. I love the looks of the bike and I will live with its quirks, real or imagined. It will be a relatively low investment and allow me to find out for myself what kind of a rider I can be. My initial instinct is that I will be a weekend rider, sometimes 2 up, with rare commutes to work.

I do plan on getting the front Scootworks pulley, if for nothing else but to fix the speedo error. Everything that I have read instills confidence that this is a 'no brainer' fix for the 900.

Bottom line . . . get what you like! If you want/need a bigger bike and can afford it, get one. I am simply on a budget and am using this initial purchase as a stepping stone. Who knows, I may keep the 900 for 10 years . . .

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do not be misled by the guys with the bigger dispalcement bikes. I think the 900 is a fine cruiser. Bigger does not mean better! The bigger they are the harder they fall.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
After riding a 900 and experiencing the issues brought to our attention, I think they are all minor at best. The 900 is a great bike and the quirks are easily fixed if they bug you that much. I would never let them stand between me and buying a 900. I just happened to buy an old jalopy 1500, because the price was right. I like the 1500 and if I had the money I would buy a V2K, but that's just me. The 900 has a lot over the V2K and visa versa, just a matter of preference. Neither bike is better than the other.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts