Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First timer! Saw all the great help people were receiving so decided to post an issue in having.

when I turn my key in ignition, all lights start up. But I noticed the fuel pump doesn’t cycle properly. Thus preventing the bike from firing up. It turns over and all lights come on.

things I have checked:
1) installed new battery and tested voltage - all good (I needed a new battery)
2) checked all fuses on left hand side and main fuse on right hand side
3) checked fuse relay box on right hand side for fuel pump with a new fuse relay box
4) spark plugs changed 5 months ago

haven’t looked at the fuel pump itself yet.

oddly enough, the bike fired up yesterday on the old battery after I charged it (wasn’t holding a charge). Drove to the store, bought new battery, drive home. Changed battery out - and boom fuel pump quit cycling.

Wonder if I knocked a cord loose to fuel pump?

I don’t have a test voltage meter yet.

·
988 Posts
Is bike completely dead or do some circuits still work? Ok after re-reading your post it appears it is just the fuel pump that is at issue. You say you checked the fuse relay box, but did you actually test the relay that operates the fuel pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the fuel pump relay box and put in an entirely new one. And it didn’t work. So it’s not the box but maybe the pump itself or a wire?

·
988 Posts
At this point I would recommend you get a service manual and start on fuel pump diagnostics. I assume you have checked the connections to the fuel pump itself? If the connections look fine then a service manual will tell you which pins should have voltage when the key is turned on. I think it is a 4 pin connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to find the connectors. Not sure where those are but that’s the next best step I assume before looking at the pump itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts