Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

This is probably something where the answer is just to grin and bear it but I thought I'd ask.

The Versys owners manual includes nothing on inspecting/changing the air filter and for good reason, it turns out...

The Versys service manual shows how to access the air filter and it requires removal of the fuel tank...no easy task.

Further, the service manual states that, after riding the bike in rain or mud, you should clean the air filter "immediately." In some parts of the country, that would mean cleaning the filter after every ride...and THAT would mean disassembling the bike after every ride.

Keeping the air filter clean on my equipment has been extremely important to me, as important as keeping the engine oil fresh and the oil filter in good shape. Now it's a major labor effort to even see the air filter (although the oil filter is relatively easy to access).

My questions:
1. Could the service manual really be serious about cleaning the air filter immediately after riding in the rain or could it really mean after riding in a river or the like? Hopefully, the requirement is more realistic than as stated.

2. Has anyone come up with a less labor-intensive, more efficient way of accessing the air filter than what is shown in the service manual?
Thanks ahead of time for your helpful responses.

Will

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
This being a brand new bike, it might take awhile to get an answer. The shops are just assembling them, so not a lot of repetition yet. You might want to find a Kawi shop and ask one of their techs about this, but chances are they haven't seen one yet. Good luck, let us know what you find out

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Welcome to the world of... not cruisers. lol

Most standards/sports require the seat, tank, and lots else to be removed to get to the filter.

As far as every time the filter is in the rain, I'd say thats just the kawi service manual covering its ***. It also tells you to wear eye protection at all times and to use a torque wrench for every single fastener, even fairing screws. :p

I usually clean my air filter every oil change and put fresh left over engine oil on it for oil. I've never had a problem. Unless the versys has some revolutionary new airbox design that scoops water off the road I think you'll come to a similar conclusion.

Your best bet would be, as a2 said, to check with other versys riders and/or a dealer who has dealt with a few versys'.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Welcome to the world of... not cruisers. lol

Most standards/sports require the seat, tank, and lots else to be removed to get to the filter.

As far as every time the filter is in the rain, I'd say thats just the kawi service manual covering its ***. It also tells you to wear eye protection at all times and to use a torque wrench for every single fastener, even fairing screws. :p

++++10000000000000 on the covering the hiney thing! Sue happy Americans have made it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great information, folks. Thanks!!

I'll try to contact PlayboyPenguin and I appreciate your suggestions, JimmyD, especially your experience with oiling the filter.

Thanks, all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts