Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum;

I recently purchased a 2008 KLR 650 after alot of research, debate and budget requirements.The bike has 3800 miles on it and is one of the cleanest unmolested examples I have seen. I am wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction for initial engine and drivetrain inspection as well as suggestions for oil type and viscosity, coolant type, air and oil filter and plug upgrades if need be. I would like a fresh start to the maintenance intervals so I know for myself that these things have been done properly.

I look forward to your comments and further discussions.

Be well!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
I have a 2011 KLR with 35,000 kms on it. You have yourself a bullet-proof bike. Simple in design, easy to repair, cheap to operate and loads of fun to ride on any terrain. Did you get the owner's manual with the bike? If not, try to obtain one. It has a highly detailed maintenance schedule that would take way too long to try to reproduce here.

With the age of the bike, despite the low mileage, you are on the right track to start clean. All fluids should be replaced; coolant, brake fluid, engine oil & filter, and get a new air filter also. You can probably leave the shock oil alone unless you see fork seals leaking. I still have my original shock oil.

Your owner's manual will guide you in the correct selection of fluids for your climate and the type of riding you will be doing. If doing all of your own work, then definitely get a service manual also.

Some will claim you need to replace the doo-hickey and this is an item for debate. I have not replaced mine and neither did my friend who rode his 2008 KLR from Canada to Argentina and back racking up a total of over 50,000 kms before he sold it and it is still going strong. So some swear you need to replace the doo-hickey and others say it is a waste of time and money. What is a doo-hickey you ask? It is part of a chain adjuster for the counter balancer inside the engine.
You should research this and ask the PO if he had it done. If not you have a decision to make. I asked my dealer about this and he said don't do it. I took his advice.

Best of luck, but you probably won't need it. You have a great bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WFO-KZ

Thanks so much for the reply. As I mentioned, I did alot of research on this bike and besides being as clean as it is it is one of the reasons I favored the KLR. I'm diving in and oh so looking forward to it. I agree, so much hype on the tensioner spring...but it gives me an excuse to pull the covers and have a look around :)

Always great to hear the positive feedback!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2008 with 30,000 mles 2 years ago. I replaced my doohickey last year. I visually noticed the spring had no tension and the doohickey was slightly loose. After replacing it I noticed the engine was much quieter no more cam chain noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts