Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a couple or spotlights to add to my Mule for driving early morning or at night on lake roads to and from our dock. I am uncertain whether I should mount them on the front near the headlight or if they should be mounted on the top. I have been told that there is a wiring bracket already under the frint that doesn't require me to go all the way to the battery, but the Mule is at our lakehouse and I haven't been able to look at it yet.

Any suggestions on where I can find a wiring diagram for switch and lights?

Any recommendations from anyone with aftermarket spotlights?

·
Registered
444 Posts
A Game Warden may question having spotlights on a Mule, I suppose that you just want to do some early and late birding? Catch them on the roost? But if you want to do the spotlights consider the amperage that they require, that may require a direct fused connection with a heavy wire to the battery, with a switch.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The Service Manual has a complete wiring diagram and description. You can also see the basic wiring harness and components in the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com. But, there is no explanation there as to where the wires run on the parts diagrams.

As far as running light prewiring being already installed, I do not think so. There are prewired turn and tail light connections, and low power feeds for small work lights like used on snowplows, but they are no where near suitable for driving lights and their high power requirements.

I mount my high powered driving lights on the cage, and run direct power from the battery though a new lighting switching solenoid to the lights. The solenoid is near the battery with 10 AWG wire from the battery to the lights, and then I use the lighter gauge solenoid activation wire from the solenoid to a switch on the dash.

As an FYI, I use galvanized fence rail clamps just lightly tightened to 10 mil plastic pipe wrap around the tubing to hold my lights to the cage. Then if I hit something the lights and mounts just roll out of the way. I used to build guards, but that is a bunch of extra work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Service Manual has a complete wiring diagram and description. You can also see the basic wiring harness and components in the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com. But, there is no explanation there as to where the wires run on the parts diagrams.

As far as running light prewiring being already installed, I do not think so. There are prewired turn and tail light connections, and low power feeds for small work lights like used on snowplows, but they are no where near suitable for driving lights and their high power requirements.

I mount my high powered driving lights on the cage, and run direct power from the battery though a new lighting switching solenoid to the lights. The solenoid is near the battery with 10 AWG wire from the battery to the lights, and then I use the lighter gauge solenoid activation wire from the solenoid to a switch on the dash.

As an FYI, I use galvanized fence rail clamps just lightly tightened to 10 mil plastic pipe wrap around the tubing to hold my lights to the cage. Then if I hit something the lights and mounts just roll out of the way. I used to build guards, but that is a bunch of extra work.
How much run time do you get on the driving lights, or does the alternator keep the battery charged? I worry about running the gas mule with the headlights on at a slow engine speed in high gear. It does not have the accessory alternator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts