Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It an 2008 Nomad 1600 with 49,500 miles on it. Really.
I am hearing a constant clickling noise that gets louder as you ride faster. I have determind its coming from an crankcase area. It makes the noise in all gears and in netural. Even with the motor off and in netural and just rolling the bike on the ground. Sounds like it could be a bearing that needs some grease. The noise comes from where the drive shaft goes into the crankcase.
I took the cover plate off of the drive side of the crankcase but nothing there to see. I didn't see anything I could grease. Any suggestions before I haul it to the shop? Warranty expired a few months ago. How do they do that???

Anybody have this happen or can give me ideas on what it could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Does it do it in gear, clutch pulled and stopped?
Have you had any problems with it jumping out of gear?
Any other shifting problems?

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you can hear this in neutral, engine off, pushing the bike it has just about gotta be a bad U joint in the drive shaft!

Has the swing arm ever been serviced?

The other option is the bevel gear bearing right where the drive shaft enters the engine /tranny case.

With the left side engine cover off is there any heat discoloration on the rear case at that area?

If you have a bike lift get the rear off the ground, and listen with a long extension to both these areas.

A bad bearing there can start an oil fire given time, and that for sure isn't pretty. A bad U joint can plant you 6 feet under in an instant, unless you know how to ride in reverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stopped riding the bike as soon as I started hearing the noise. I then rode it home slow. The shifting seems normal and speeds and response of the bike seem normal too.

Other then oil in the rear differental I have had no service to the driveshaft.

I have a good photo of the area if you want me to email it to you.

There is a rusty discoloration on some rubber around the parts that connect to the drive shaft to the crankcase. Looked normal to me.

thanks for the help.

It also makes the noies even if the clutch is pulled in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The book calls for that swingarm to be taken down at 7,500 miles, and 7,500 miles there after.

Check that rusty color, and make sure of what it is.. I can't see how rust would be there at all. I can see it could be brake fluid from the clutch slave, but I doubt that, it could be engine oil from the bevel gear and seal, and or it could be a leaking rear gears seal, and so gear oil, which has a sweetish sulfer smell.

If it is rust it might be very baddely worn U Joint yokes. If these yokes break, while you are riding, it is end of story. The rear end will lock up hard, and that rear end will come around like a whip, and you will crash backwars if i am right. I am hoping I am wrong.

About 1/2 factory drive shafts didn't get grease into both planes of U joints. I had a 01 with this problem and since I was under warrenty the factory fixed it. That was around 12,500 miles, and the bike had been checked out and lubbed on time. I know several other riders from kawanow, with this problem.

My 06 is ok, but I remain checking, and others with 06 and up also have had this problem.

If you fix this yourself the same cross joint can be had from the kawii 4x4's. Sorry i don't have the part number.

There will be many splines in high need of lube at this point. The rear wheel to gear box splines, both ends of the drive shaft, even if the U joint cross is any good. The bearings in the upper shock mounts, the bearings at the swingarm pivots, and all 3 spacers.

If you plan to do this yourself, have tools and a lift, say so and I can go step by step, but STOP riding this bike, untill you get this done.

How often have you changed the rear gears oil? The book calls for a fooie 24,000 miles for 6.2 measly ounces of gear oil.... That won't due....

If never, then maybe the gears are junk.

You can pull the rubber boot at the case to drive shaft tube back safely and peek in there...

Don't you have the owners manual? I never looked at it myself, but I bought the shop manual the day I bought the bike.

Sure let me see this pic... [email protected]*com make and dot where the * is. I got enough junk mail.. Put RoadWarrior1 in the subject line too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts