Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3132 Posts

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
updated: 8/12/2008

Here's the routes we had for the 2008 PA BTK Forum Ride. Original plan was 4 days of group riding, but with threats of doom and gloom in the weather forecast for Sunday, the group cancelled Sunday's ride. We broke up into groups heading various directions and headed home on Sunday morning. I've got the actual GPS track data and I'll be updating the route maps soon to reflect the actual roads we were on.

Thursday, 8/7/2008, ride leader mkelley. Official start at Flying J Truck Stop in Carlisle PA. Breakfast buffet at 8 AM, left around 9:15 AM. Rode thru PA Dutch Country, Poconos, and Delaware Water Gap Area. Thursday night accommodations at the Port Jervis NY Comfort Inn. Preliminary route was 215 miles. Got to the motel around 5:30 PM.

Friday, 8/8/2008, morning ride leaders DebbieW and JDPenn, afternoon ride leader kingofwings. Left Port Jervis NY Comfort Inn at 9 AM in two groups. Headed for Wellsboro PA on a route with lots of twists and curves. Spend Friday and Saturday night in Wellsboro at the Sherwood Motel . Preliminary route was 200 miles. Got to the motel around 6 PM. Since we rode in and out of 3 torrential downpours on the way to Wellsboro, the group made an executive decision to cancel the dinner ride to Antlers Inn in favor of apres ride refreshments followed by dinner nearby.

Saturday, 8/9/2008, ride leader JDPenn. Left Sherwood Motel at 9 AM for a loop ride north into NY Finger Lakes region. JDPenn planned the route and hosted lunch at the Belhurst Castle Winery. Returned to Wellsboro in late afternoon, followed by more impromptu post-ride celebrations.

Sunday, 8/10/2008, ride leader mkelley. Cancelled due to dire weather forecasts over the entire state of PA, extending south to Washington DC.

Ride routes updated 8/04/2008

Map of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ride routes

Garmin MapSource NT GDB database (right click on link to left, select Save Target As)

Alternate formats:
GPX-format database (right click on link to left, select Save Target As, make sure it saves as a .gpx file, not a .xml)
Google Earth KML file (right click on link to left, select Save Target As, make sure it saves as a .kml file, not a .zip)

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Who attended?

These were the bikes present.

Updated 8/11/2008

1. VulcanCowboy (PA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
2. CheriAnn (MD) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
3. Chaz (MD) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
4. Mrzazz (WVA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
5. TriXie (WVA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
6. Lattimer (NJ) - Thursday thru Saturday night, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
7. JDPenn (PA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
8. KingOfWings (PA) - Friday evening thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
9. PitchingGuy (VA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
10. JacksonW/Sue (OH) - Saturday evening thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
11. Rabbit (PA) - Saturday thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
12. Wanda (PA) - Saturday thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
13. Ispeed77/daughter Lori (MA) - Thursday thru Saturday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
14. Dropdfocus (PA) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Grandparents in Wellsboro
15. Redbeard (MI) - Friday evening thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
16. MeanGirl (PA) - Thursday thru Saturday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
17. ImpactG (PA) - Thursday thru Saturday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
18. DebbieW (NJ) - Thursday evening thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
19. Martin (NJ) - Friday thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel
20. Skipsaxe/Cheryl (CT) - Thursday evening thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
21. mkelley (MD) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
22. Drew (MD) - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
23. Carl772 (PA) - Thursday lunch and afternoon ride
24. Fishbreath (PA) - Thursday afternoon meetup

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
too bad we won't be in Port Jervis for Friday nite. Hunts has a killer Seafood Buffet... expensive ($45), but all you can eat whole lobsters, clams, oysters, shrimp, fish.
Maybe I'll go tomorrow!

·
TriXie Chaser
1,823 Posts
Mike sign me and Julie up for Thursday thru Sunday. Just made reservations at Sherwood also.

Like Mike said.....get your forum t-shirts....you dont want to be the only one not wearing one.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Sign me up for Thurs-Saturday.

·
Ready2Ride
1,456 Posts
I'm definite for Friday evening thru Sunday. I'll have to rearrange some vacation to do Thursday and Friday. I have Myrtle Beach Bike Week, Delmarva Bike Week, Annual VRA Rally (in Carlisle, PA this year), family vacation, and Christmas vacation. Vacation days are tight this year. I already shaved 2-3 days off of Delmarva. I might have to shave a day off the VRA Rally and a day off of Christmas vaca.

I will lead the Saturday ride once it is planned out.

How does a ride up around the NY Finger Lake region sound? We could tour a few wineries and do some wine tasting, and lunch at one of the wineries.

The different finger lakes have these wineries:
Canandaigua Lake & North (13 wineries)
Keuka Lake (19 wineries)
Seneca Lake (54 wineries)
Cayuga Lake (25 wineries)

If you don't like wine, there is still some beautiful scenery around the lakes.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I'm definite for Friday evening thru Sunday. I'll have to rearrange some vacation to do Thursday and Friday. I have Myrtle Beach Bike Week, Delmarva Bike Week, Annual VRA Rally (in Carlisle, PA this year), family vacation, and Christmas vacation. Vacation days are tight this year. I already shaved 2-3 days off of Delmarva. I might have to shave a day off the VRA Rally and a day off of Christmas vaca.

I will lead the Saturday ride once it is planned out.

How does a ride up around the NY Finger Lake region sound? We could tour a few wineries and do some wine tasting, and lunch at one of the wineries.

The different finger lakes have these wineries:
Canandaigua Lake & North (13 wineries)
Keuka Lake (19 wineries)
Seneca Lake (54 wineries)
Cayuga Lake (25 wineries)

If you don't like wine, there is still some beautiful scenery around the lakes.
Another potential stop could be Watkins Glen at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. Nice little town, we could walk up (or down) the glen.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
PM me or post on this thread and I'll add you to the list kept right here...

MKelley - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
MKelley's son Drew - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
VulcanCowboy - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
CheriAnn - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
Chaz - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
Mrzazz - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
TriXie - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
Lattimer - Thursday thru Sunday, Comfort Inn, Sherwood Motel
JDPenn - Friday night thru Sunday, Sherwood Motel (possibly Thursday and Friday)
JD, you stay healthy this year!

·
Ready2Ride
1,456 Posts
Another potential stop could be Watkins Glen at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. Nice little town, we could walk up (or down) the glen.
That would be nice, but there is a race scheduled for that weekend.

NASCAR Sprint Cup at Watkins Glen International

In 2008, the Centurion Boats at The Glen is back on its traditional August race weekend. The NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series will turn left and right at The Glen, August 7-10. Fans can see the stars of the Centurion Boats at The Glen NASCAR Sprint Cup Series challenge the famed 2.45-mile track on Sunday, August 10 and the NASCAR Nationwide Series Zippo 200 on Saturday, August 9. The weekend action kicks-off as the Daytona Prototypes of the Grand-Am Rolex Series make their second appearance at The Glen on Friday, August 8 for the Crown Royal 200.

It will probably be very crowded with major traffic congestion and should be avoided, unless of course we all want to go to the race, which I would be up for.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts

It will probably be very crowded with major traffic congestion and should be avoided, unless of course we all want to go to the race, which I would be up for.
You're right, we probably want to avoid that area! I didn't think about the possibility of a race that weekend. Glad you checked.

·
<3
1,312 Posts

NASCAR Sprint Cup at Watkins Glen International

In 2008, the Centurion Boats at The Glen is back on its traditional August race weekend. The NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series will turn left and right at The Glen, August 7-10. Fans can see the stars of the Centurion Boats at The Glen NASCAR Sprint Cup Series challenge the famed 2.45-mile track on Sunday, August 10 and the NASCAR Nationwide Series Zippo 200 on Saturday, August 9. The weekend action kicks-off as the Daytona Prototypes of the Grand-Am Rolex Series make their second appearance at The Glen on Friday, August 8 for the Crown Royal 200.

haha! i'm goin to that race! lol

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
You can tentatively sign me and my father up (his forum name is Instant). We would probably meet up with the group Thursday evening in Port Jervis.

Cant wait to meet everyone - I missed this ride last year, I aint missing it again this time around!

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Oh BTW, any plans of running through Hawks Nest outside of Port Jervis? We went last year on the NJ BTK ride and although its a short run it was still a blast - here's some pics:

As you can see, it's a popular biker destination because of the twisties - they've even filmed car commercials there. We also had lunch at the Erie Hotel in Port Jervis, it was a quaint little watering hole although we didn't get to enjoy any spirits on account of the ride :p

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!! I can't wait to meet you both!!! :smile:
Likewise Cheri! I see you're now haunting after Chazz's Nomie... only one place to go from there, V2K baby!!!

1 - 20 of 3132 Posts