Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 3010 Kawasaki Trans Mule diesel which I purshased new in October 2009 so it is still under the one year warranty period. It just twisted 50 hours so I took it in to the dealer for it's first servicing and squawked the two rear plastic fenders which both have cracks about an inch long (and growing) extending from the two outer screw bolt connections on the top of the fenders. I think the diesel units vibrate moreso than the gassers (?) and as such might be the reason for the cracking. I feel they should be replaced under warranty-anyone else have this problem?
Do note that the newer 4010 version has a different rear fender configuration that appears far more secure to the dump bed-not dangling below on a simple strut which is prone to vibration. Please look at your 3010 rear fenders and post in.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
That is a common problem unless you take flat aluminum and fit it to the indents in the inside top of the fenders. It spreads the stress and keep the bolts from cracking the plastic.

However, most people just toss the fenders and install mudflaps from the box on the front and rear of each wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a common problem unless you take flat aluminum and fit it to the indents in the inside top of the fenders. It spreads the stress and keep the bolts from cracking the plastic.

However, most people just toss the fenders and install mudflaps from the box on the front and rear of each wheel.
RCW,
I purchased this 2008 Mule new not knowing that these stress cracks on the rear fenders were/are common. Does Kawasaki offer a fix ie. your aluminum indent plates? I want Kawasaki to provide me with new rear fenders under my warranty and now understanding the stresses, will beef them up myself with your fix recommendation if Kawasaki does not yet provide a structural repair. I do not want to install fore and aft mudflaps ILO fenders. I paid for rear fenders and want rear fenders.
3010 Mule owners with similar fender cracking problems, come forward and let's get a fix and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I believe you will see your warranty excludes this sort of fix. I see my warranty books for both the 4010 and the 3010 units has such an exclusion. If your dealer replaces them count yourself lucky and the dealer as very supportive.

I see fenders cracked and ripped all the time from whacking through the brush, bouncing though the boonies, vibration from use, cows rubbing against them, etc. They are not expensive at $20. I treat them as a consumable, build my own mounting hole braces, and get on with life. It is far less stressful and a lot less time consuming.

I see the same sort of issue on all brands of UTV's, so plastic fender cracking is not unique to Kawasaki.

My guys work on them all, and I am not affiliated in any way with Kawasaki or any other UTV dealer. Fender breakage is just a fact of life when these rigs are used.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCW,
I haven't priced the fenders but I hope you are correct pertaining to the $20.00 +- each figure in your last post. That I can accept and will build better brackets. In your opinion-can I adapt the 4010 fenders to my 3010? I haven't looked at a 4010 to conclude for myself but they look like the vibrating strut has been designed out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the 3010 Trans Mule diesel to a dealer (not who I bought it from due to distance) for the 50 hour service and lo-and-behold, recieved new rear fenders under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts