Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Versys for one week now and I have managed to squeeze 600 miles out of it in our dreary PNW weather. I figured I would take a few minutes and write down my first impressions of this bike.

First I will address the most controversial aspect of this bike...the styling. I love it. I think it is one hot looking bike and love the post modern design. It gets alot of attention every where I go and it deserves it. You opinion may differ. :)

Now on to the more function and performance related opinions...

Power/Speed: This bike is not a big one. The engine is only 649cc but it seems to pack a great deal of torque and power into a small package...especially on the low-mid end but it is still capable of accelerating hard from a speed of 70mph for passing without even gearing down. I have had bigger bikes that did not seem to have half the oomph this little gem puts out. I even out performed a 1600 Meanie today.

Slow Speed Handling: This bike is amazing when it comes to taking the switchbacks and winding roads of the NW. It is stable as can be in tight corners and on bannked/curved roads. You feel very well planted and it seems like it is really hugging the road. The bikes light weight and short wheelbase also help to make it a breeze to zip around on the busy city streets.

High Speed Handling: On the highways this bike is unbelievably stable. It can cruise along at a registered 80mph and be as solid as a rock...in fact it seems to be begging to go faster. The tires hug the road like glue and despite it light weight it feels very planted.

Aerodynamics: This bike does very well in this catagory. The windscreen does a very good job of keeping the wind off my chest and shoulders. The Versys just seems to slice through the gorge winds with ease. I do think the windscreen could be a tiny bit bigger though.

Mirrors/Controls: Everything is very well layed out on this bike. The turn signals are easy to use, the passing light is a nice feature, and hazzard flashers are a nice addition. The mirrors are large, well placed and provide good visibility.

Instrumentation: The instrument cluster is one of the high points of this bike. The large anaolg tach is both attractive and easy to read. The digital speedo includes a clock and a true fuel guage which is awesome. It could use a temp gauge though instead of just a high temp warning light. The speedo does seem to be off up to 5% at speeds under 40mph and creeps up to an error of almost 10% at speeds over 70mph. This seems to be pretty standard on bikes for some reason.

Ignition/Fuel Injection: The ignition system has been flawless. The bike turns strongly and starts on a single revolution each time. Even on cool mornings. The fuel injection has also been flawless. It is very responsive and crisp. In fact it takes some getting used to and requires a light touch.

Comfort/Suspension/Brakes: The bike is very comfortable. I am 6'1-ish and 215lbs....I find the seating position to be very natural and comfortable. The seat is high and provides very good visibility but it might be a bit too high for shorter riders (under 5'10). The suspension is a bit harsh on the factory settings but with a tiny bit of adjustment it can be fine tuned to a very fine suspension. It handles all the street's imperfections while still allowing you to feel the road under you. The brakes are strong and steady. They are more than adequate for a bike this size and weight.

Overall I have found this to be an awesome bike. To do anything short of saying that it is the best bike I have ever owned would be selling it short. Even though I would not want to take it off road it seems to hand gravel, paved roads, and hard dirt with ease.

When you buy something that is this versatile you expect to make sacrafices in some areas. So far I have not felt like I am compromising anything. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Yours is the first consumer review I've read. Good for you!! I hope the two of you have tens of thousands of miles of uneventful riding together!

I've not seen one in person yet, but from the pics it looks like a love/hate thing. You have one or the other, there's no in-between with this machine.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
I've seen one at a local dealer.... it's definitely different to look at... I was pressed for time so I didn't get a chance to sit on it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I have been looking at these bikes or a while. I sat on one a couple of weeks ago and really think it will be my next addition to the garage.

Dan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write up. I have been looking at these bikes or a while. I sat on one a couple of weeks ago and really think it will be my next addition to the garage.

Dan
I can honestly say that i do not think you will regret it.

The only regret I have is that I bought it so late in the year.

·
Registered
594 Posts
awesome. from the looks of people riding it, they weren't disappointed in the bike and obviously from your review you are one of those folks. The only complaint i have with it is the one color choice for it.

I would have bought the versys instead of the Z1000; if it came in other colors but red.

·
Registered
533 Posts
you are not the first person to fall in love with an ugly bugger... wear a full face and put someother name on your jacket....:)

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
great review, glad you like it. dont know if its for me, but to each their own!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Sometimes functionality over visual, I for one cannot say a Bimmer GS1200 is hot looking.....but booy does it ride nice.

I think the Versys will be a hit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
^^^

who's this buzzo guy?

have we met?

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Excellent review, PP.

I must admit it's not as ugly to me in person as it is in photo, but I still don't like that "keyhole" light.

As someone else already said, I believe function is more important than form anyway.

Congrats on the new ride.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Nice review.

·
Can You See Me Now?
325 Posts
I like it, more for its functionality than any thing else!
I like, well actually LOVE, my V2K, but it would be nice to ride gravel w/o cringing!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does anyone else remember the old Honda NS series of bikes. This sure reminds me of that bike!

Like this? It belongs to a member of another forum I frequent.

I can see a resemblance.

Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts