Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Well I bit the bullet. Over the weekend, Friday actually, I purchased a new bike. I walked out of the dealership with a 2008 zx6r with 2 miles on it for a smidge over 6300. I am pretty happy about it and think I got a great deal.

Well over the weekend I put about 500 miles on her and am now wondering about the first service @ 600 miles. Is it worth bringing her into the dealership for it? What do they do? Just an oil change?

I was thinking about doing it myself but don't want to void the warranty. Any advice? If I do it myself what is it that I should do? Just oil and filter change?

Thanks,

-Vaedyn

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Read your owners manual. It will detail what to check at each service interval. I di my own, changed the oil and filter, and checked everything else it suggested.

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Buy you a torque wrench and a good set of 3/8 drive metric allen, metric sockets ans wrenches and get you the service manual. The one item on the list in your manual is a re-torque of bolts and fasteners and the service manual has the list. That's another $80 after you invest in the tools now you ready to do the first service.

Oh yea you need to get some good oil and a filter. To help you with filters here is some reading for you about the filters. I use Mobil1 products all synthetic.

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It still amazes me anytime I see someone worrying about voiding the warranty by doing an oil change on their own. It just won't happen (unless you run the bike but forget to fill it back up with oil).

It might be worthwhile to have the dealer check if your bike was one that was affected by the valve cover gasket "recall".

The only thing you need to know is that the first oil change, getting that filter off will be an absolute B from heck. Get a real oil filter wrench (not one of those strap jobs or the kind that purport to fit over the end like a cap) and tear that sucker off of there. Be aware that the dealer will tend to torque them back down if they do the change too (as it's in the manual).

I use Purolator PL14610 filters. Amazon always has them for cheap. They're the best rated filters on the websites nomad linked. My last fill up was Maxima Premium4 20W50 for the spring/summer since it gets so amazingly hot here. I'll be swapping to synthetic 10W40 when fall rolls around.

Amazon.com: Purolator PL14612 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why that first oil change is important is because it gets rid of all the gunk and metal shavings of the break in period. +1 on the pure one purolators and also the mobil one's. I do all of my own maintenance except valves and tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts