Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From new my mule grinds going into high gear. I must put it into low gear then high. I took it back to the dealer and they said it is not adjustable and normal meshing of gears. Yeah right, sometimes it will not go into gear at all. It also grinds in low but not as bad. I e-mailed Kawasaki and they said there is adjustment. I have discussed this with the service department, and they are being difficult and now wanting the mule for a minimum of a week. I have a distrust now and would like some information from someone before going in. Thanks :confused:

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I moved your question to the ATV - Mule section hoping you will get a response faster.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
There are several adjustments that are required to fix gear grinding (clashing of the engagement dogs) in the transmission.

Continuous grinding is not acceptable and indicates that damage has likely already been done. So your step of contacting Kawasaki was a good one, now follow their advice and document the actions. Screwing around and waiting will only lead to catastrophic damage of the transmission, a likely loss of warranty, and big bucks out of your pocket.

These units have a dog clutch type transmission and because the torque converter tends to carry over power when the engine is idling, there is always some gear (dog) clash. It should be limited to a "snick" as you slide the selector firmly and without hesitation into gear. Ratcheting noises from those dogs racking against each other is not acceptable, and any decent dealer will know this.

If only more people would check out their dealers when buying a Mule, there would be a lot less trouble. They are difficult to set up the first time and it take a skilled dealer service department to do it correctly and then take the time to train the new operator how to use the machine.

If you have a lemon law in your state, exercise your rights!

·
Registered
12 Posts
it sounds to me like the idle is to high. see if they can slow the idle speed down some. they grind like crazy if you don't let the motor idle down before trying to put it in gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are several adjustments that are required to fix gear grinding (clashing of the engagement dogs) in the transmission.

Continuous grinding is not acceptable and indicates that damage has likely already been done. So your step of contacting Kawasaki was a good one, now follow their advice and document the actions. Screwing around and waiting will only lead to catastrophic damage of the transmission, a likely loss of warranty, and big bucks out of your pocket.

These units have a dog clutch type transmission and because the torque converter tends to carry over power when the engine is idling, there is always some gear (dog) clash. It should be limited to a "snick" as you slide the selector firmly and without hesitation into gear. Ratcheting noises from those dogs racking against each other is not acceptable, and any decent dealer will know this.

If only more people would check out their dealers when buying a Mule, there would be a lot less trouble. They are difficult to set up the first time and it take a skilled dealer service department to do it correctly and then take the time to train the new operator how to use the machine.

If you have a lemon law in your state, exercise your rights!
Temecula motor sports still disagreed and I saw no point in going any further from this dealer. I did call two bigger dealers and they had the same lame excuse. Each wanted it a week. I have a ranch and can’t go without a service vehicle. So I decided to try a few adjustments , and with each one it got better, but never stopped. I feel I was lost in the dust by Kawasaki and no choice but do it myself. Now 10 years latter and constantly adjusting and excessive maintenance, I’ll never buy another Kawasaki

·
Registered
1 Posts
From new my mule grinds going into high gear. I must put it into low gear then high. I took it back to the dealer and they said it is not adjustable and normal meshing of gears. Yeah right, sometimes it will not go into gear at all. It also grinds in low but not as bad. I e-mailed Kawasaki and they said there is adjustment. I have discussed this with the service department, and they are being difficult and now wanting the mule for a minimum of a week. I have a distrust now and would like some information from someone before going in. Thanks :confused:
This is how to fix that problem. I have the same model and had the same issue. First check the transmission oil level, and do not screw in the fill gauge when checking the level. If it is screwed in, it will give a false reading of full, so just set it in without tightening. If the level shows a little low, probably a quart, that is the problem. Drain the transmission completely, and then add 2.5 quarts of the proper viscosity oil. ( SAE 80 90 gear oil can be found at NAPA for 5 bucks or less a quart ) Once you properly fill the transmission, you will find it simply snicks just a tiny bit, but goes into gear very easily. Mine was horrible, but this simple fix was all it needed. It works amazing now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine had the same problem (2009, same model, that I recently purchased). When I would click it into low I noticed that that would bring the idle down a tad and then it would shift into high without a grind. I decided that the high idle (as has been mentioned in this thread) was my problem. I posted on this forum (probably 2 months ago or so) and got some input but basically figured out how to adjust the idle ever so slightly with the intake butterfly actuator. I was able to get the idle to, what I would guess is about 600 rpm (from what I would guess was 800 rpm). Runs great and no grinding.

In the I explain what I did. The thread did generate some interesting discussion on whether it was wise to adjust the throttle in that manner or what might cause I high idle so you might want to take a look at it. It's titled " 2009 4010 4x4 Trans, High Idle, Grinds when I put into gear." I adjusted it very little and am not concerned that it might cause a problem but respect those that might think differently.

If you can get the idle down, my guess is your grind will go away.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts