Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a used 2009 Ninja 250r a month ago. It initially had 6k miles on it. I have put 1500 on it since.

Since I purchased the machine, it has always just started. On Friday I went to a friends house after work. It started right up per usual. When I went to leave his house, the bikes hud lights turn on but when I hit the starter button it wouldn't click/make any noise.

I checked all the safteys. Kick stand up, clutch in, in netural, kill switch. I was able to get home by removing the saftey thing from the clutch and bump starting her.

I used a multimeter the following day to test the battery. Readings are all good. I replaced the battery anyways but that didn't help... I checked the fuses and most importantly the ignition fuse. I took apart the throttle casing and checked the start switch for contact and gunk.

Can it be spark plugs or carbs if I am still able to bump start it? What does it usual mean if my electrical system is working but when I hit the start button no sound is made anywhere. To buzzing, clicking, or turning. Starter?

Thanks for any help, this is my first bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out and check the starter relay and fuse. Fuse looks good and I put the meter on the two contacts of the relay. Had a constant 12.#

I also put the multimeter on the starter switch and it always reads 0. I am no expert in this stuff but I put the two mutimeter contacts on the two solder points of the switch. Is that what I do?

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
You may not be testing the relay correctly depending on which set of contacts you're probing. Putting the leads across the contacts will check continuity. You can test either voltage or continuity. Continuity will give you a warm fuzzy that the switch isn't corroded and is functioning properly; in the same respect, grounding one lead and separately measuring voltage at each switch/relay contact there should not be a voltage drop. How did you check the other switches? The kickstand switch lives in a harsh environment and it's commonly a problem if you ride a lot in foul weather; mounting screws are known to come loose too and operate intermittently. Next is usually the clutch safety switch. The 250 site will walk you through troubleshooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and arched the solenoid with a screwdriver and it fired right up. Does that mean the solenoid is bad or something else?

I think that is a silly question to ask and my thought is the starter switch or wire between.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I unhooked the starter switch from the harness. I put the probe on the contacts and grounded to the engine somewhere. I push the button and get no readings but I could be doing it wrong.

I live in Phoenix Arizona so weather is not an issue. I can jump the bike while the kickstand is down and in neutral like always. Does this eliminate the kickstand issues?

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Set the meter on the ohm setting and connect to the switch wires. If you push the button and get nothing on the meter the switch is bad. You need to look up the instructions on how to use your meter. The solenoid should only have power when the start button is pushed and the start relay pulls in. The start relay is tied to the safety switches and all must be good complete the circuit. The previous links have the start circuit schematics color coded to make it easy to understand how power gets around. Don't know your definition of jump start but hope you aren't connecting it to a car battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having the same issue everything is fine green light is on on the hud instruments and i go to push the start switch and nothing it use to click where the relay is but it dont do anything now i dunno what to do someone pls help!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The starter has 2 circuits. 1 is the high power to turn the starter. Battery to solenoid to starter. You proved that the starter works by ark (jumping) the contacts. 2 The the control side. Battery to the ignition switch to the bar kill switch to the start button then to the start relay in the relay box. The start relay gets its ground by going to the clutch switch and then to ground with the clutch pulled in or to the neutral switch. The side stand safety switch is in the ignition circuit and will turn off the coils with the side stand down and not in neutral. The starter may still crank I haven't tried it. There are also fuses both to the ignition switch and to the relay box.

The relay box provides the control of the starter solenoid. With a meter check for power (12 v) at the small wire on the start solenoid with the start button pushed. If you have power there it will be the start solenoid that is bad. (look up the part No. on your favorite part web site then find it on Amazon to save some money. My 2013 Versys has the main fuse with the start solenoid, my 2005 Concours they are separate. If no power then, with the key on look for 12 v first at both sides of the kill switch, then at the starter switch. Next push the start button and check for 12 v at the other side of the start switch. The power will then go to the relay box. You will need the wiring dia. provided in post 2 to find the correct pins for power and ground from the relay box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everything is fine now one small problem im leaking fuel out the airbox but seems to be running ok im not gonna lie i bought the bike for 250$ and only thing is i dont have a title but anyways what could cause this

·
Registered
521 Posts
Carbs leaking gasoline discussed in detail here:
PS - Leaking gasoline should not be considered as a small problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your gas tank that none of the welds on the tank or the brackets that are welded to the bottom of the tank if any. Also to around the pepcock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts