Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I literally JUST purchased a 2011 Ninja 250 yesterday from the first owner. The bike only had 18 miles and the guy was asking $4000. I got it for $3800. Good Deal? I forgot to mention that it comes with the Good Times Protection Plan for 48 months which doesn't expire until 7/2016. So my question that I'd like to ask is: since it only has 18 miles on it but was purchased about a year ago, should I have the oil changed or anything checked out? Or just run it through the break-in period?

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Personally I'd run it as is , loosely following the MOM recommendations, for 250-300 miles then change the oil and filter. Then I'd ride it like I stole it.

and 'Grats on the new bike!! Got pics?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I'd run it as is , loosely following the MOM recommendations, for 250-300 miles then change the oil and filter. Then I'd ride it like I stole it.

and 'Grats on the new bike!! Got pics?
This...Also, you can look at your oil through the scope. When it's clean it's kind of clear. The more you ride it the darker it'll get.

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
If you have an owner's manual, then I would follow their reccomendations. Failing that, if the oil is the original oil, I would change it as it is past it's best before date. (keep the filter for now and use an oil that has the JASO M2 rating) For the first 100miles, ride the bike in the low half of the allowable rpms but try not to let it "bog". Very the rpms as much as possible. That is, accelarate up to 4 or 5 thousand rpms then back off the throttle and let the bike decellarate. Do this as much as practible. You are trying to put pressure on both sides of the piston rings so that they "seat" well. Doing a proper break-in can signifacantly improve the amount of power the bike will develope and the oil consumption. Replace the oil after 100miles then ride as described above, gradually increasing the maximum rpms you take her up to. After 500 miles, change the oil and filter. Now you can go ahead and ride any old way you like and change the oil at the recommended intervals. There are more detailed descriptions of proper break-in procedures in the vintage section of the forum. You'll have to search for them.

Happy riding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts