Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Y'all,

I'm new to the forum. I just recently bought a used 2012 4010 Mule trans with 740hrs, that doesn't reach it's top speed in high gear. The highest speed I recorded in both high and low gear is 14mph. From what I researched the top speed should be governed at 25mph. It seems that the transmission stays in low gear regardless of the shift position. I read that it could be wear from the belt, but there are no signs slipping or shifting problems. Any advice on what to look out for and what to replace would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the 4010 have a high and low speed shifter in addition to the forward and reverse shifter? If so, verify that it is physically shifting from low to high at the other end of shift cable. May still be in low gear when shifter shows high gear.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@San4345

No forward or reverse shift. The shifter is a high, low, neutral, and reverse. Then there's a lever for 2wd to 4wd and another lever for the rear differential lock. In my observations the position of the shift lever at the transmission moves to the same position whether it's in high or low. I'm not exactly sure how the CVT works in high and low. Is it supposed to be like that or does the DFI system control how fast the mule goes in a selected shift position?

Thanks,
Javin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the shifter doesnt change transmission lever position, pretty sure its still in low. If shifter has a "high"position that you manually shift, position at other end should change. I would find a service manual and look at shifter controls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@San4345

I figured out why is wasn't shifting. The shift cable probably snapped somewhere within its insulation. I can manually shift the lever at the transmission into high. After observing when I shift into low at the console it will push the lever at the transmission. The cable pushes but doesn't pull.

Thank You,
Javin V.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@San4345

I figured out why is wasn't shifting. The shift cable probably snapped somewhere within its insulation. I can manually shift the lever at the transmission into high. After observing when I shift into low at the console it will push the lever at the transmission. The cable pushes but doesn't pull.

Thank You,
Javin V
I know this is an old thread, but did you figure this out? I am having the exact same issue with my mule. Was it a broken cable? Trying to figure it out before I drop more money into it.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts